Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my good friend playing the empire builds a death star and leaves it totally undefended. I have the plans and one-in-a-million and I fly one Xwing there. The rules say 'after the space battle step'. Here's my problem: the DS attacks with 4 red die and can not be damaged so, presumably, it would just go on rolling until there's no rebel fighters left, no matter how many I send.

I've obviously missed something, but what?

Grumbs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is a space battle step in every round of combat. You would get to play your DS Plans at the end of each one, assuming you have at least one fighter left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grumbletweezer wrote:
So my good friend playing the empire builds a death star and leaves it totally undefended. I have the plans and one-in-a-million and I fly one Xwing there. The rules say 'after the space battle step'. Here's my problem: the DS attacks with 4 red die and can not be damaged so, presumably, it would just go on rolling until there's no rebel fighters left, no matter how many I send.

I've obviously missed something, but what?

Grumbs

the point is you send fighters, hoping that at least one will survive the 1st combat round, then you play the death star plans to try to take it out.

if it fails, you can go into a 2nd round of combat, survive with a fighter then play the plans again etc.
until either you run out of fighters (as even red dice can eventually kill your fighters), you retreat or you succeed in destroying the death star.

sending only 1 fighter will have high chances to see it die in the first combat round before playing the plans.

if you ask about his strategy, do know you're using a leader in this attack so it might have been a bait for you to waste a leader's action/the plans/one-in a million while he holds the project to build DS 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that - what we've been doing wrong is misunderstanding what a 'step' is. I thought you finished the space battle step completely - i.e. one side wins - before going onto the land battle step.

I guess I thought that you would have to win the space battle before you could land troops to fight the land battle, but reading the rules you actually alternate between the two no matter what. Can you just confirm for me that's right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
grumbletweezer wrote:
Thanks for that - what we've been doing wrong is misunderstanding what a 'step' is. I thought you finished the space battle step completely - i.e. one side wins - before going onto the land battle step.

I guess I thought that you would have to win the space battle before you could land troops to fight the land battle, but reading the rules you actually alternate between the two no matter what. Can you just confirm for me that's right?

That is correct. Ground units are in the ground theatre immediately upon entering a system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommi Saukkonen
msg tools
I made this same assumption the first time we played the game. In my case it's most likely because I had played Star Wars: Empire At War for PC and in that game you actually have to fully resolve the space battle in order to proceed to the ground battle.
That kind of game mechanics allowed strong ground forces to be wiped out in weak transport ships during the space battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beatpeitsi wrote:
I made this same assumption the first time we played the game. In my case it's most likely because I had played Star Wars: Empire At War for PC and in that game you actually have to fully resolve the space battle in order to proceed to the ground battle.
That kind of game mechanics allowed strong ground forces to be wiped out in weak transport ships during the space battle.

Yes - I guess playing Buck Rodgers 25th C game was in my mind where you can do exactly that. I think having to win the space battle first makes slightly more sense, but I'm happy to switch over to the correct rules :o)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.