Popular Tags: [View All]
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuff that came up during the first game...

1. Any limitations on the Wall Breaker ability? In the first scenario, Conan has guaranteed access to Yog on the first turn by breaking down the stone wall (fine if this is intended, it just felt odd).

2. Does Teleport work through walls?

3. How do Orbs work? They seem like they should work like grenades, but I can't really figure out what they do from the iconography. I played them that they are thrown using a manipulation and, if they hit, they explode for the listed damage and are then consumed.

4. Any limits on rerolls other than running out of gems? You can reroll then reroll again, etc?

5. Any limits on repeating actions (e.g. attacks) other than the exertion limit? (for heroes, that is).

6. Does the overlord have to declare how many Guard dice to use at once, or can he roll them one-at-a-time? Can a hero Guard against the same attack multiple times (and gain any equipped shield bonus each time)?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
Stuff that came up during the first game...

1. Any limitations on the Wall Breaker ability? In the first scenario, Conan has guaranteed access to Yog on the first turn by breaking down the stone wall (fine if this is intended, it just felt odd).

The English edition has 2 mistranslations for this skill.

a) it should say "wooden wall"

b) it should say "2 additional movement" instead of "2 movement".

Olvenskol wrote:
2. Does Teleport work through walls?

Yes. This is clarified in gross detail in about 13 other threads.

Olvenskol wrote:
3. How do Orbs work? They seem like they should work like grenades, but I can't really figure out what they do from the iconography. I played them that they are thrown using a manipulation and, if they hit, they explode for the listed damage and are then consumed.

See thread 1662268.

Olvenskol wrote:
4. Any limits on rerolls other than running out of gems? You can reroll then reroll again, etc?

No limits on "paid" rerolls. Using "free" rerolls, each die can only be rerolled a single time. After that, you have to pay for it (or use the Support skill).

Olvenskol wrote:
5. Any limits on repeating actions (e.g. attacks) other than the exertion limit? (for heroes, that is).

The exertion limit is the limit.

Olvenskol wrote:
6. Does the overlord have to declare how many Guard dice to use at once, or can he roll them one-at-a-time? Can a hero Guard against the same attack multiple times (and gain any equipped shield bonus each time)?

That's two questions. Let's try that again...

Olvenskol wrote:
6. Does the overlord have to declare how many Guard dice to use at once, or can he roll them one-at-a-time?

He needs to declare them at once, but he can reroll any of them using gems. He cannot roll one, then decide to add another, then decide to add another.

Olvenskol wrote:
Can a hero Guard against the same attack multiple times (and gain any equipped shield bonus each time)?

Unless i am very sorely mistaken, no attacks may be defended against multiple times (neither by Guards, heroes, nor the OL). Defense is rolled one time, but free rerolls and gems may be paid to reroll the defense rolls. That gems may be used to reroll dice for Guards is not explicit in the rulebook but was clarified by a Monolith employee in another thread and will be clarified in the new rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much, Stephan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ângelo Cossa
Brazil
flag msg tools
About the attack:
Each time i attack i can add the weapon bonus? So with conan i could atack five times with the bonus to a total of 10 red dice plus cleave to pass the excess damage to another character?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Chakado
France
flag msg tools
galahadba wrote:
About the attack:
Each time i attack i can add the weapon bonus? So with conan i could atack five times with the bonus to a total of 10 red dice plus cleave to pass the excess damage to another character?

Not sure what you mean...
Attacking five times is not the same as attacking once with five gems.
One attack action = you roll the number of gems you put into the attack + the bonus of your weapon.

So if you attack once with one gem you roll one die + your weapon bonus. You may re-attack after that: you pay one gem and you roll one die + your weapon bonus. Etc.

Or you can chose to only attack once but you put a lot of energy in your strike: you put 5 gems at once in your attack action. You roll 5 dice + your weapon bonus (which applies only once because it is one attack).
When you face a monster with a lot of passive defense, you generally want to use a big strike to hit beyond its defense value. While when you face common soldiers, it's more efficient to do one small attack after the other (since you can re-use your weapon bonus each time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
correct, BUT the enemies would also defend 5 times, wich is a also a lot of dice. It might be more effective to attack ONCE and pour 5 additional dice in the attack. this will create a huge amount of hits and the enemies only defend ONCE.

So you see in the end it is sometimes better to attack multiple times (against weak enemies) and sometimes better to have one massive attack (against a strong enemy or a horde of enemies with the cleave skill)...

This is what makes gem management so interesting in Conan. There is always something to consider and you need a lot of tactical smarts to succeed. There's not the one solution for all situations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lol, you beat me to the answer (by a couple of seconds, mind you...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loig wrote:
correct, BUT the enemies would also defend 5 times, wich is a also a lot of dice.

Making a series of smaller attacks a viable tactic for forcing the OL to choose being losing either gems or minions. If the OL chooses to lose gems, it makes attacking larger targets later in the turn easier, as the OL has fewer gems to defend with. If the OL chooses not to spend gems, then the minions fall like wheat before a scythe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.