Armin Brueckner
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've preregistered for my first major gaming convention- Origins. A friend and I are driving up for the weekend and we are both really looking forward to it.

There are some questions we have that I just can't seem to find any answers for. Any help is appreciated.

1) So I've preregistered for the whole thing and I've bought some generics. My first question is how do I purchase the "board game" ribbon? Is it sold on site or am I missing something.

2) There was an announcement by the Ohio club CABS about a training room. There were a few games in that announcement we were really jazzed about learning. What is the status with that and again how do I buy a ribbon?

Like I said, this is our first major convention so any other pointers or hints you can give would be awesome.

See you there-

Armin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
"Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
badge
The ticket to the future is always open.
mbmbmbmbmb
Advice/Warning: Don't be turned off by the blow-up dolls used to advertise t-shirts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teague Webb
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should find George "Bud" Sauer, CABS' minister of propaganda. He's on BGG, and goes by laserdog. He can hook you up with all the details of the CABS stuff for Origins.

Also, check out our website: www.buckeyeboardgamers.org

Have fun! (wish I was going.....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
You can by the ribbon (and tickets for specific events) on the Origins web site as soon as their system is up (maybe next week).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy the ribbon on-site, but you're better off getting it beforehand on the Origins web site to avoid potentially having to wait in a(nother) long line. As the previous post indicates, the web event registration system is not quite up and is officially behind schedule. Look for "Board Room ribbon".

Edited to add:

I have not heard anything about the training room since it was announced. As Teague said, Bud Sauer would probably know.

If you haven't already made hotel reservations, do it now. According to the Origins web site, half the hotels are already sold out.

Be prepared to wait in line for your badge. With 12-15,000 attendees, the lines can back up during busy periods. It's possible you could hit it during a lull period, but let that be a happy surprise if it happens.

There's a different line for event registration, which is even longer, so pre-register for everything you can (plus that protects you from having your events fill up). I don't register for individual events, I just get a couple of ribbons and hang out in those rooms. So if you're wondering, that is a viable strategy.

- Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teague Webb
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my limited experience with cons, and great experience with things that one must wait in line for, getting there early makes a HUGE difference.

On a non-Origins CABS note, be sure to check up on our Buckeye Game Fest in the fall. 3+ days of boardgaming, with no additional cost to play beyond admission. There will be 150+ different gamers there to do nothing but play boardgames. There's info on our website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be in the pre reg and on site book ... Should be up at the Origins site

Bud Sauer
CABS

The BoardRoom - Designer Classics! at ORIGINS 2007

What is that famous designer's "best" rated game that somehow you never learned? And now, you can't learn without becoming cannon fodder for your friends? Or worse, squeaking along as the fifth wheel at the table struggling all the while to merely end up throwing the now totally unbalanced game to the person who sits to your left?

The BoardRoom understands your pain and announces The ORIGINS Learning Center! The expert gamers of CABS (Columbus Area Boardgaming Society) will be teaching the top ten rated "classics" as ranked by The BoardGameGeek
(BGG) throughout ORIGINS. Forget about being embarrassed. With all newbies or rusties at the table, plus an expert guide, you'll be up to speed in a heartbeat. You'll never be forced to play Candyland at the kiddie table again as your gamer friends fire up some potent classic.

The Learning Room will feature:

Andreas Seyfarth's Puerto Rico
Reiner Knizia's Tigris & Euphrates
Friedemann Friese's Power Grid
William Attia's Caylus
Richard Borg's BattleLore
Wolfgang Kramer's El Grande
Wolfgang Kramer & Richard Ulrich's The Princes of Florence
Karl-Heinz Schmiel's Die Macher
Ananda Gupta and Jason Matthews' Twilight Struggle
Martin Wallace's Age of Steam

In addition to the Learning Room, the BoardRoom will be presenting Designer Classics! throughout the convention. Of course it's all open gaming all the time with us, but we'll be scheduling the following games to make sure you've got something Classic! to play when you've got a free moment.

Rudiger Dorn's Goa
Dirk Henn's Wallenstein
Klaus Teuber's Settler's of Catan
Christian T. Petersen's Twilight Imperium
Richard Breese's Reef Encounters
Sid Sackson's Acquire
Wolfgang Kramer and Michael Kiesling's Maharaja
Gerd Fenchel's La Citta
Alan R. Moon's Union Pacific
Klaus-Juergen Wrede's Carcassonne
Richard Garfield's RoboRally
Bruno Faidutti's Citadels
BTTB's St. Petersburg
Marcel-Andre Casasola Merkle's Attika
Uwe Rosenberg's Bohnanza
Jens Drogemuller's The Scepter of Zavandor
Doris Matthaus and Frank Nestel's Primordial Soup
Kory Heath's Zendo

What was that Big-Name game that got you hooked on gaming? Come relax and reminisce with us! Or bring a new purchase and let's punch it and try it out. And don't forget the over 400 games in the BoardRoom library that are available to be checked out.

We are The BoardRoom! the best value at ORIGINS....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armin Brueckner
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome- I saw the pre-reg book came out today.

I'm looking forward to a chance to play Die-Macher. Should be awesome.

Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pretentious? Moi?
United States
Pocomoke
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laserdog wrote:
This should be in the pre reg and on site book ... Should be up at the Origins site

Bud Sauer
CABS

The BoardRoom - Designer Classics! at ORIGINS 2007

We are The BoardRoom! the best value at ORIGINS....

I'm having trouble finding the BoardRoom Ribbons listed on their website (even with the addition of pdf Event Listings).

Any idea how much they're going to cost this year?

-R³

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pretentious? Moi?
United States
Pocomoke
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I received the answer through email.
The Board Room Ribbons are going to cost the same as last year: $15.00

-R³

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

While I think most people are better off with prereg, don't let it disuade you, assuming your a flexible type of person. I've gone to both Origins and GenCon with the idea of just showing up and not worrying about anything, and had terrific success, with the caveat that you can do that if you want to play and learn games.

IF you want to play in events, especially specific events, you're *much* better off pre-registering. Me, I don't care about being in an event --I can go the entire con just playing at demo booths and pick-up games, or convincing someone at the table to sell me generics if there's an event I want to try. It's worked so far. Also, I don't show up first thing Thursday morning, which I'm sure has a sizable rush and long lines. I get there mid-day/evening, and the lines are modest. So it can be done, but you need to be a little flexible. Good luck and enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls