Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: A few questions from a non-owner... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an Eldritch Horror player I'm intrigued by this game but not certain if I should pick it up or not. Do people find that this replaces Eldritch Horror or do people who have both happily alternate between the two?

I've tried to find out as much as possible by watching some instruction videos and checking the website but it's left me with a few questions:

1. If I buy the base game is there any other extras I should consider buying straight away?

2. I'd really like to get painted miniatures as I dislike unpainted pieces - but it isn't clear which ones I need. I can see on the FF site that they have big bundle and individual options - is there a specific big pack I need to buy that will include all the investigators and monsters just from this game? I'm not interested in using them in any other Arkham games, I just want all the miniatures for this specific game.

3. With regards to the puzzles, how many different types of puzzles are there in the game? Do they repeat often? Are they fun or do they get repetitive? How often do they crop up?

4. Is there a lot of reading from the app? More specifically, when talking to people it looks like you can have conversations with them, is the dialogue kept to a minimum in these instances?

5. Is there a specific tablet type or tablet size that works best with this game? I'll have to purchase a tablet so just wondered if there's one that stands out as being great for this in particular?


Thanks in advance for any help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
#3.

I've seen 3 types of puzzles and I've played Cycle of Eternity and Escape from Innsmouth. I thought they were a nice touch and fun to figure out. None were very difficult but I loved Mastermind when I was a kid, so I have an advantage there.


#4.

The app narrates the prologue and the epilogue otherwise you will need to read the flavor text if you want to know what it says. I'd say it has the same amount and type of flavor text you'd find in Eldrich Horror. In the instances where the characters had conversations with an npc the text seemed to be a short paragraph sometimes with choices in how to respond.

I don't think the amount of reading is significantly different from Eldrich Horror but it's a lot more than I find in most other games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
#2.

I like to paint the miniatures myself. It's fun.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
#2.

I like to paint the miniatures myself. It's fun.


They look really good. Unfortunately I have neither the skill nor time to do this so my preference would be to buy painted ones or send them off to someone to paint them for me. Not sure how I'd find someone to do that though, maybe there's skilled people on these forums who do it for a price?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles vera
United States
el paso
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I believe it would be cheaper to have them painted and I'm sure there are people on this site that could do it for a reasonable price.

I would get the 2 expansions that they released already ( that's if you don't have the previous ones, which I'm guessing you don't)

The reading is good flavor text! Not to much or too little. It submerses you into the theme!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
viper22husky wrote:
Yeah I believe it would be cheaper to have them painted and I'm sure there are people on this site that could do it for a reasonable price.

I would get the 2 expansions that they released already ( that's if you don't have the previous ones, which I'm guessing you don't)

The reading is good flavor text! Not to much or too little. It submerses you into the theme!

Why do you recommend getting the two expansions? I guess my requirement is that everything can still fit in the one base box. With this in mind I assume I could probably only get one of the two expansions. Does one of them have the better scenario and monsters? Ideally I prefer shorter scenarios to longer ones, and would prefer extra room tiles rather than extra monsters. Which expansion would be the better fit for me?

Also, if there's any painters here on BBG who have already painted these minis before and would like to paint mine for a price send me a mail.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
MoM 2ed definitely does not replace Eldritch Horror for us. We have, and enjoy, both. They are very different experiences in a similar Lovecraftian Universe.

1) I personally would say to hold off on the expansions right now. Just get the base and make sure you enjoy it and the mechanics. The expansions aren't going anywhere - they will be there to let you expand on the house / monster options as you grow with the game. But my gut is telling me you will want them, as this game is nothing short of awesome and you will want more.

3) If I remember correctly, there are 3 different kinds of puzzle and they are really great. They throw a great change up into the exploration / fight scenario in which you have to pause and conquer one of these to gain whatever prize hides behind it. The way the app handles it is also brilliant. Big big improvement on 1st edition.

4) There is some reading from the app - but in the end, it's not really that different in quantity than what was previously read from cards in 1st edition. It's certainly not cumbersome. The text is well written and we read it aloud....there is a lot of flavor there which really makes the game more thematic.

5) I run the app on Steam on an ASUS laptop and love it because we keep the laptop stationary at one of the table and just pass the wireless mouse back and forth between players so that they can be the one controlling the app on their turn. It works perfectly because all can see the screen and make comments (or heckle) while the player whose turn it is can drive.

MoM 2ed is definitely one of my top 5 game purchases of 2016....maybe top 3. Not to be missed.

Enjoy!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclodog wrote:
MoM 2ed definitely does not replace Eldritch Horror for us. We have, and enjoy, both. They are very different experiences in a similar Lovecraftian Universe.

1) I personally would say to hold off on the expansions right now. Just get the base and make sure you enjoy it and the mechanics. The expansions aren't going anywhere - they will be there to let you expand on the house / monster options as you grow with the game. But my gut is telling me you will want them, as this game is nothing short of awesome and you will want more.

3) If I remember correctly, there are 3 different kinds of puzzle and they are really great. They throw a great change up into the exploration / fight scenario in which you have to pause and conquer one of these to gain whatever prize hides behind it. The way the app handles it is also brilliant. Big big improvement on 1st edition.

4) There is some reading from the app - but in the end, it's not really that different in quantity than what was previously read from cards in 1st edition. It's certainly not cumbersome. The text is well written and we read it aloud....there is a lot of flavor there which really makes the game more thematic.

5) I run the app on Steam on an ASUS laptop and love it because we keep the laptop stationary at one of the table and just pass the wireless mouse back and forth between players so that they can be the one controlling the app on their turn. It works perfectly because all can see the screen and make comments (or heckle) while the player whose turn it is can drive.

MoM 2ed is definitely one of my top 5 game purchases of 2016....maybe top 3. Not to be missed.

Enjoy!

Thanks for you answers, that's very helpful. Surprised there's only 3 types of puzzles though, doesn't offer much variety.

Also, do the other scenarios use the tiles found in the expansions or are these exclusive for that expansion scenario alone? Which expansion would you recommend if I was only going to buy one?

It's a pity there's no way in the app that you can say you want it to use the tiles from an expansion but not the monsters. The variety of locations is much more important to me than the variety of monsters.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also, do the other scenarios use the tiles found in the expansions or are these exclusive for that expansion scenario alone? Which expansion would you recommend if I was only going to buy one?

It's a pity there's no way in the app that you can say you want it to use the tiles from an expansion but not the monsters. The variety of locations is much more important to me than the variety of monsters.


Two of the base game scenarios have possible maps that use expansion tiles. I think the one that represents the first ed base game adds more options, and its scenario is better, so that's the one I'd recommend.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more questions:

Having never played this myself, can someone tell me (without spoilers) when it's possible to have two Star Spawn or two Shoggoth on the board at the same time? For example, I'll only ever play this game 2 players max (possibly 3 on the odd occasion). Is it only possible for two of these creatures to come out on the board at the same time if you are playing above a certain player count? Is there some sort of percentage number, such as if playing 2 player you'll never get more than 50% of any one miniature on the board at any one time?

If this was the case I could probably get away with only painting so many of them, and only keeping one big monster in the box instead of two, hence me asking.

Also, with regards to the extra tiles in the two expansions, have people found that they are pretty much hardly ever used in any other scenario other than the one that comes with that box? Would be annoying to keep all those times in the game box if they aren't going to be used by the other scenarios.

I appreciate any help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.