Vinhos Deluxe Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Best way to randomize/set up vineyard tiles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to hear how everyone else shuffles and sets out their vineyards. Because in my first few games I'm realizing that methods that work for other games don't really work here.

Ignoring expansions and such, the challenge is randomizing the tiles so that neither you nor anyone else sees their order, and they all end up with the cost side facing up. At first, I just shook the four tiles in my hand and dropped them, which works for several other games. But then I knew the order. I could do it without looking, but then some stacked with the bonus side up instead of the cost (and flipping them over as needed means seeing the tile below that one). Then I laid each foursome on the table, cost side up, shuffled them with my eyes closed and stacked them--but this was both time-consuming and didn't keep others from seeing the order.

Such a silly thing, but I feel someone else must have a good trick for this. With my gamer OCD, it's hard enough ignoring the fact that each one might be oriented towards a different side of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I roll d10 die for each of the vineyards to remove for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euan D
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shuffling aside, how do you stop people from being able to see the order once they are stacked since the wine colour triangle is somewhat visible from the side.

This is the big graphic design flaw in my opinion.

In our group we try and face it away from the players but sometimes this isnt possible and its hard to orientate and pkace each stack without seeing the colours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really want them to be truly random... whenever a vineyard is bought, randomly choose the next tile to be available from the remaining tiles. You could roll a die, blind shuffle, or put them all in a bag and draw one out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly it is not that big of a deal and really not a make or break part of the game. Single Vineyard and 2 winery's is the same potential as 2 vineyards and a winery.

Factor in the experts that let you reorganize vineyards and I think you might be overstating the importance of the Vineyard shuffle.

The top Vineyard is always visible so just quick shuffle under the table during set up and go.

I have played the game quite a bit at various player counts and this has yet to be a make or break in final scoring and tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
solanthos wrote:
If you really want them to be truly random... whenever a vineyard is bought, randomly choose the next tile to be available from the remaining tiles. You could roll a die, blind shuffle, or put them all in a bag and draw one out.

Workable but the current Vineyard should always be visible. I am sure you meant that but stating for other readers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, exactly. Top is always visible. When the top vineyard gets bought, shuffle or randomly select the next tile to be displayed at the top of the pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
solanthos wrote:

Exactly. Just put 1 tile on the regular spot with the rest to the side of the board by the corresponding region. When somebody takes a vineyard tile, roll a die to determine what color tile to put there next--odd for red, even for white. And if only 1 color is left then of course no need to roll a die. Seems a simple enough solution for those who think the info should be hidden.

Or maybe the graphic design is intentional and you're supposed to know what's coming up and in what order. Hmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PrinceTiuTeka wrote:
Shuffling aside, how do you stop people from being able to see the order once they are stacked since the wine colour triangle is somewhat visible from the side.

MentatYP wrote:

Or maybe the graphic design is intentional and you're supposed to know what's coming up and in what order. Hmm...

Yup, this crossed my mind as well, which is why I don't consider this a critical part of the game, either. I was just curious. Although seeing which tile is next depends on which way it is oriented compared to the player who is viewing it, so it's not particularly fair unless people are going to spin the stack and look at them.

But based on rolling dice, using bags, making multiple piles off to the side and only leaving one on the region, etc, I guess I wasn't alone after all. It's such a simple mechanic in most games, I found it odd that something with such a great design and layout would make this major gameplay element challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, hopefully: 2016 - Lisboa, 2017 - A Colony in Mars, 201? - Escape plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually organize all the vineyards by regions on the box after the game. Then in my next play, I can't remember their order. Just take them from the box and place them in the regions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've solved the 'visible wine colours in the vineyard stacks' problem by putting a light blue stripe across the tops of the money sides of each vineyard card with a light blue paint pen.

It's worked great and there's absolutely no dribbling down the side. Just be sure to wipe the end of the pen before you start in case a blob has developed on the tip.

I used some matt varnish to reinforce the paint.

In total it took about 90 minutes, apart from paint drying time.

I used delicate painter's masking tape. I don't know whether regular masking tape could damage the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.