$30.00
Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

NEXT SESSION : Wednesday November 9, 2016.
GAMES : There are usually 50-100 games to choose from.
WHERE? THE LOUNGE of the Canadian Legion Branch 351 - Centertown, 330 Kent Street (The Montgomery Legion)
WHEN? Gaming starts at 5 pm and goes until 10
COST: FREE!!
PARKING : Kent and Somerset have parking, as well as the nearest side streets which are Gilmour, Maclaren, Cooper and Lisgar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Pilot
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody feels like playing a meaty Euro on Wednesday? All I have to offer is Vinhos (old edition), but I am interested in trying something new (and could read the rule beforehand)...

If not, I'd play anything don't worry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pepilot wrote:
Anybody feels like playing a meaty Euro on Wednesday? All I have to offer is Vinhos (old edition), but I am interested in trying something new (and could read the rule beforehand)...

If not, I'd play anything don't worry!

Last night was not the night for anything too heavy for me, not having slept at all on Tuesday night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for another fun night gang!

Bill, Wendy, Frank and I started out with City of Spies: Estoril 1942. It was Bill and Frank's first play and Wendy's second. Bill got thrown off the cliff in the first round but recruited a spy, Frank recruited one spy and Wendy and I started off with two. Early on, it was clear that Wendy was out to the lead on one of the missions - most Portuguese. I wasn't quite sure what missions to go for. There are tons of interesting decisions in this relatively rule-light game and Frank and Bill (and Danny watching) soon realised this. In the last round Bill and I were both at the cliffs and when I placed my spy there I was able to peek at his card and realized that I would lose and my spy would die (a loss of a VP). So, my next play was a seductress in an adjacent, earlier resolving space that would be certain to have an empty space to put my seducee. But, Frank had other ideas. He was winning on a location and seduced my seductress over to it, perhaps losing that location but ensuring he'd win another. My seductress was able to win the space but wasn't able to seduce my spy over from the cliffs (who was then shoved off by Bill...thanks Bill). In the end Wendy won by a couple of points after having taken two missions. I was in second with my score bolstered by the one mission I won. Bill and Frank split the fourth mission. Super fun game and one I'm really happy with this purchase.

Next, Mark taught Bill, Frank and me the great new hotness Mechs vs. Minions. Man, is this a gorgeous game. It is a scenario based programming game where your team of mechs (I was Ziggs) is cooperatively trying to complete an objective while wave after wave of spawning minions interfere with your plans. We played the first scenario after the tutorial. Our objective was to move a bomb from our school (silly teacher thought it was a power device and brought it to the school) to a point on the board, mostly behind where all the minions would be spawning. The programming is an interesting mechanic but the mechanism that prevents the alpha player from taking over is a timed programming card draft. Players could discuss what kind of programming card they'd like before the draft begins but once its started its tick, tick, tick, tick. Bill was our main man for moving the bomb toward the repair point. But, as will happen he was injured by a minion. The damage he took wrecked the timing of his program and moved him out of position to haul the bomb. Fortunately, I was right behind the bomb and had lots of movement to push it straight towards our objective after Mark had cleared the path of minions. Victory!! Lots to like in this game. I particularly liked how the damage not only potentially moved you but could really mess with your order-dependent program and that particular powers of your mechs were opened up as you defeated more minions. Thanks Mark for bringing and teaching it.

I also saw Terraforming Mars and Suburbia being played.

Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.