7 Posts

Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Black vs Green (Help me beat green!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think my record going Black vs Green is something like 1/10. It just seems impossible to overcome the green opener. I feel like I have tried everything going rushdown, turtling and going for the long game, skeleton rush, cursed crows/discard. I always get crushed the by oppressive long game.

The general strat is to max arg on turn 2 on the Merfolk prospector gold (also generally a wisp in the scavenger patrol) into teching in stampede for a very early savage beating.

I try to kill prosector with deteriorate as quickly as I can but there is usually nothing i can do to kill Argagarg until I have the ability to tech in Doom Grasp but usually that is too late. don't even get me started on that Feral hero... She is so strong,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Green's biggest weakness is no hero removal and extremely little card draw. So going for discard. You say you tried this with Crows but Black has earlier ways of going for discard.

Since Green has no hero removal going in on your heroes is a very possibly thing you can do. Vandy is just as cheap as Arg to max level and her ultimate will give you a ton of offensive power. If you can play Metamorphosis with Garth also in play you can get yourself two heroes capable of one shotting tech buildings + a beefy unit to patrol.

If Green is immediately teching Stampede it shouldn't be to hard to get rid of what he's got. He'll only have a 1/1 a 0/1 and a 3/3 that can be effected by it. As black it shouldn't be too hard at all to clear out all to most of that making playing Stampede not really do a whole lot if anything. Deteriorate gets rid of the Wisp or the Prospector and you can use Sac the Weak if it will get rid of the Elemental. Even Pestering Haunt can do a bit of work vs this set of units.

For early discard you can use Thieving Imp and Shadow Blade. Although maybe Thieving Imp wont be as good in the first cycle because Green will only be playing 1 card from hand on their second turn.

If the opponent opens with the all in Arg strat I'd really recommend an going for a heavy Vandy strat. Going with a hero strat with any of the heroes could probably work though.

Doom Grasping Arg might be too much of an investment though. Once Arg is already maxed his biggest threat comes in the form of Stampede and Stampede is only a threat if he has a board. Since Green has no haste in the mu you will always get a chance to respond to Green's stuff.

Vandy can be effective with her body and spells. If Green is going for a swarm Orpal can do stuff to units and heroes with his spells.

tl;dr try using heroes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for Sickness and Plague Spitter. You really want -1/-1 runes on everything. For Tech 2, going for an Abomination to get ride of all these wisp tokens. And a Cursed Ghoul to be able to bypass patrollers to get to heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this 1/10 going 2nd? Because going first Black ought to be able to apply some incredible pressure of its own early, especially going first.

Green gets a lot of free board (between Pandas, Young Treant, Arg, etc). Black needs to go down on cards to keep up but can afford to do so. Black has such good draw between Garth & Vandy's Dark Pact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmm thanks for all of these tips everything here makes a ton of sense. I must admit I have never used Vandy's ultimate because I always thought it took to much setup. I also have a strong "urge?" to not ever go down in cards in this game, so I end up rarely using Garth or Vandy to draw. I realize this is stupid now. I am going to report back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Reporting back, we played three games and I won all three! I used Vandy for her strong body and it was a huge boon! I also wasn't as afraid to spend a ton of cards and then use Garth/Vandy to draw back up to a full hand.

I only lived the metamorphosis dream once, but it was a win when it happened. Mostly I won using Garth's maxband ability to summon an early Cursed Ghoul and bon collectors.

Also I don't know how this never happened before, but the combo of pestering haunt and graveyard is completely insane! It just completely counters Merfolk Prospector and that +1 free damage is damn good.

Question: How the heck am I supposed to use Vandy's maxband? I feel like I am playing around it more than I am playing into it. I get that if my opponent has no units this is an easy buff, but often my opponent does. I guess I just need to make sure I have a way to kill his buffed dude right after I use it... Looking for some tips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:
Reporting back, we played three games and I won all three!

Nice! Yeah, at some point I think you'll be asking the opposite question from what you opened the thread with

Quote:
I guess I just need to make sure I have a way to kill his buffed dude right after I use it... Looking for some tips.

Pretty much. Or just make sure you have a cheap Squad Leader you don't care so much about losing. Basically just try to make sure that overall, you profit more from her maxband than you lose, but don't expect to come out from it unscathed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.