Hide
14 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Romulan culture tokens on advancement cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sky Edwards
msg tools
Do the culture icons on the Romulan advancement card give you additional culture tokens when you gather resources? I understand you get 1 culture token when you complete the advancemnt. The rulebook states in the section about gathering resources that advancemnt cards will also give you tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you only get the culture when the advancement is completed. I'm not sure where in the rulebook it might indicate otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Relic669 wrote:
The rulebook states in the section about gathering resources that advancemnt cards will also give you tokens.

No, it states that trade agreements might give you resources, but not advancements. Romulans only get advancement culture when they complete the advancement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Edwards
msg tools
Page 24 under resource generation. None of the cards thus far specifically say generate (X) resource. I'm in search of just a touch more clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Edwards
msg tools
csouth154 wrote:
Relic669 wrote:
The rulebook states in the section about gathering resources that advancemnt cards will also give you tokens.

No, it states that trade agreements might give you resources, but not advancements. Romulans only get advancement culture when they complete the advancement.

It does actually say advancement can give you resources on page 24
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I stand corrected then, though I haven't encountered an advancement yet that gives resources.

The answer to the question is still that the culture icon on Romulan advancements only provide Romulans one culture token when they are completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The icon is simply a reminder. You do not gain additional culture tokens after completing the advancement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Richard
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I'm not sure if the OP's question has been answered or not. I think he's referring to Romulan Faction Ability (on the lower right of the player board) that indicates a Culture token is gained upon the completion of an advancement that has a Culture icon. If this is just a reminder, its not a very good ability . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wymbrix wrote:
I'm not sure if the OP's question has been answered or not. I think he's referring to Romulan Faction Ability (on the lower right of the player board) that indicates a Culture token is gained upon the completion of an advancement that has a Culture icon. If this is just a reminder, its not a very good ability . . .

He was asking if the culture icon means the advancement produces a culture token every recharge phase when resources are gsthered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relic669 wrote:
Page 24 under resource generation. None of the cards thus far specifically say generate (X) resource. I'm in search of just a touch more clarity.

correct, but there are already cards that say so.
an example is the federation's orbital laboratory advancement;
"During resource generation, collect 1 research for each starbase you control"

another example is the multicultural collaboration tech;
During research generation, collect 2 research for each rival trade agreement you hold, keep 1 and give 1 to each rival whose trade agreement you hold.

the key is, a resource icon on the side is only collected when completing an advancement, while resources collected during research generation will always be mentioned in the ability text of the advancement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gale Force Nine LLC
United States
Earlysville
Virginia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Romulan Player receives one Culture Token when an Advancement Card with a Culture Token pictured on it is completed. ONLY the Romulan player may take advantage of this, other cultures that develop stolen Romulan Advancements do not receive a Culture Token when they develop the Advancement (but they do, in effect, prevent the Romulans from obtaining the token).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Garrett
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Wymbrix wrote:

I've only played one game of this, just bought it.. but I was wondering exactly this. Does the Romulan player get one culture or two when he finishes a tech with the culture icon paired with the ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rwggrim wrote:
Wymbrix wrote:

I've only played one game of this, just bought it.. but I was wondering exactly this. Does the Romulan player get one culture or two when he finishes a tech with the culture icon paired with the ability?

Look about 2 inches above your post.

Gale Force Nine wrote:
The Romulan Player receives one Culture Token when an Advancement Card with a Culture Token pictured on it is completed. ONLY the Romulan player may take advantage of this, other cultures that develop stolen Romulan Advancements do not receive a Culture Token when they develop the Advancement (but they do, in effect, prevent the Romulans from obtaining the token).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jighm Brown
United States
Rossville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had wondered the same thing. I just assumed that the text on the card was just a reminder of the power. The advancement cards should have had this reminder text in parenthesis to signify that it was a reminder and not an additional culture token to the one already printed on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.