1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: One last attempt rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've posted a couple of times before looking for games that suit us and have had some great suggestions of a few to play with younger family and games for when we're in more laidback mode but now I've really narrowed down what we like and don't like and am really really struggling to find games in the heavier weight that fits so going to give it one last shot to see if you can come up with something

I've got to page 8 of the 30 pages of rahdo runthroughs as realised this is definately the best way to tell (plus we bought too many we didn't like and don't want to waste anymore money) but this is a slow process and I want a couple more to buy before xmas so I don't get bored so quickly of the ones I have already found lol.

I apologise in advance for the essay but I really am looking just for games that exactly fit our criteria that I haven't come across yet. Also, I'm not quite down with the board game language yet so am trying to explain what I mean in enough detail lol!

Right so, I'm looking mainly for me and my mum, sometimes with friends although only a few of these like non party/social style stuff so two to four players would be good.

Things it must or mustn't have:

Weight of at least 3 but pref nearer 3.5 or a little higher. Have found a few already on the lower ranges and wanting things on the harder level to really get our brains into.

No Co-ops - none of my family like co-ops. I have never lost to a game and we've tried a few even on harder starting setups but really don't find it fun to play against a game only. My strong point seems to be knowing the best action to take at any given point and knowing the later consequences a few turns down the line so I don't make errors either. Not so much fun for others either as can't help saying "but if you do this, this will happen". basically, the only way I would lose is if the game set up made it impossible to win no matter what you did and there is no challenge in this so no fun for me! (don't get me wrong, not up myself, there are other aspects of games and life I'm really not so good at lol!)

Must have player interaction - we like to mess with each other and be mean a little (not so much to destroy someone maybe but enough to annoy each other) also, if no player interaction or messing, I suffer the same problem as in co-ops as playing against the game more in some cases and I will generally win so no fun for her as this is not her forte - she's happier thinking just a little ahead!

Must be thematic - we like theme. My mum hates games where the actions do not make sense to the theme and are random. She hates games with lots and lots of square cubes/chips meaning different things that she has to remember and lots of symbols and icons on a board full of just spots to put a meeple to score points for one reason or another or have to make sense of the board and look at loads of icons to figure out what the spaces mean. You'd think being a computer programmer able to write coded language would mean she'd like this but she doesn't??? An area with this is fine but must be building something elsewhere, or must be easy to work out with nice thematic comonents to compensate. Basically going to an image of a forest with minor icons to collect wood shaped bits is great - going to square on board/table of squares to collect visually unclear amount of brown cubes without studying square - not so great. It doesn't help that she has a bad memory! I prefer thematic games also for another reason as don't quite have the imagination to pretend I'm doing something other than pushing cubes or collecting points for no real reason unless the board/game helps me believe lol! Lords of waterdeep - awful, gates of loyang/agricola- great lol :-)

Some luck - for reasons I explained earlier, no fun for other people if only optimal choices will always win the game as I will generally win against my mum etc. Anyway, I find it more challenging and therefore more fun to have to keep changing strategy and figure out how to get around something that's just messed my plans up a little or pushed me back somewhat. Not too much luck though just enough to make it possible for her to win occasionally or at least give her the hope of winning lmao (only like a little dice action also, not millions every turn unless good reason for it)

Not too open - My mum suffers AP somewhat so games completely open with loads of choices like caverna would become a painful slog. I want choices for variation but need something such as events or missions or changes to win requirements/objectives etc to keep her focus or even just limited choices on one particular go even if more choices throughout the game if that makes sense. This also helps the game not play the same everytime so good for me also as I get bored too easy if playing the same way everytime lol! so also no repetitive actions - My most hated was TTR - I found it so repetitive, pick cards, put down cards, add trains and the best choice was always obvious to me. None of family liked this one actually!

No war games - don't really get a kick out of moving around a board and killing others with long winded dueling actions with dice or whatever etc. Don't mind a little killing here and there but must be quick and to the point and should be another objective to the game. We have a few games that are mostly killing but these are quick for a bit of fun and not the more thinkier games I'm looking for.

Now not all of these have to be there in equal or large amounts but there would need to be enough of the other requirements to compensate the lack of one or just a little to keep us happy.

Additionally, looking at the games that suit us, we seem to like some kind of visual puzzle aspect alongside more mechanical choices. Don't seem to mind if a little of the game is hidden or not. We both quite like random events also but not really necessary requirement. I don't think deck builders are for us possibly for this reason - not sure if lots of cards with numbers on and lots of icons are really for her or me either?

Games I've already found are:

Gates of Loyang
Agricola
Dungeon petz and dungeon lords (a little low on interaction but enough other stuff)

just want a couple more for variation really and just can't find ones that have the things I need and still not certain whether agricola is for us so hesitating on whether to purchase?

Games on the simpler end that we already have and a couple we plan to get(just to give you better idea of what we like/are looking for):

mission red planet
Battle at Kemble's cascade
Galaxy trucker
Among the stars
Isle of skye
Seeland
Imhotep
Santa Cruz
Room 25 (with expansions)
Ark & Noah (more as family game and not our fav)
Walnut grove (not quite enough interaction)
Sanssouci (more my mum's thing)
Vikings (again more for my mum)
Theseus the dark orbit
Dark horse
Olympos

Not entirely sure about the last three as haven't played them but we will prob try at some point as seems like fits most needs enough. A couple of these don't quite have enough player interaction but we like for other reasons when we're in laid back mode but not quite what we're looking for here!

Really simple favourites that we play often with my six year old are carcassone, downfall of pompeii, survive and little prince make me a planet if that helps also

If you guys could just give me a couple more, I would be really really grateful or let me know if my requirements are too specific for that level (I'm thinking some of the requirements like a little luck might not be found so much in harder games) - but at least I could stop bothering to look lol

Oh and thanks too anyone who took the time to read even if no suggestions lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
I haven't played it but Viticulture Essential Edition seems like it fits pretty well. Maybe Grand Austria Hotel though it has some cubes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few that come immediately to mind:

Alchemist: same designer as dungeon pets and Galaxy trucker. Worker placement with a Strong deductive element + bluffing.

Twilight Struggle: I don't know how heavy you are looking for, but this is a long and deep game that looks like a wargame but plays out like a game of tug of war.

Carson City: another worker placement game, but this one set in the Wild West.you build your town up with building, adding to the game a spatial relationship angle, and the workers can fight each other to compete for spaces.

Tigris & Euphrates: a classic game which plays like an abstract, but which is thematically about the rise and fall of empires. Quite thinky.

Mexica: another game with a strong special element/ puzzle feeling, this one is about subdividing an island by placing canals. It's ultimately area control, but you create the areas as you go. Very confrontational and can be nasty. Really good, underrated game.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Fradette
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Take a look at Village, might be a match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agent easy wrote:
Alchemist: same designer as dungeon pets and Galaxy trucker. Worker placement with a Strong deductive element + bluffing.

I think you meant to link Alchemists, which was published by CGE but not designed by Vlaada.

To the OP, this is a tough request, but my best attempt would probably be Brass: Lancashire. Definitely a good, solidly implemented theme where you're building up industry in the Liverpool area, and all of the different types of buildings do what you'd expect them to.

You have a hand of cards to restrict which actions you can do so there's some randomness, but not so much that you can't play around it.

There is a good amount of interaction, but not the standard kind of tear someone else down or take something they wanted (well there's also a bit of the latter). The way it works is often actions that help you will also help your opponents and vice versa, and so a lot of the game is about figuring out what will be needed by the other players and making sure you provide it so you can reap the benefits of their desires, while trying to make sure not to help anyone too much.

I believe out of the box it doesn't play 2, but I know there are some 2 player rules someone on the site came up with that are supposed to be pretty good, and which Rahdo did a runthrough of.

Also, I think you can still get a copy now, but also the designer is supposedly reprinting it along with a new scenario soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
I haven't played it but Viticulture Essential Edition seems like it fits pretty well. Maybe Grand Austria Hotel though it has some cubes?

Grand Austria Hotel has a fair bit of icons, though.

I would suggest Mombasa unless the colonialism theme is off-putting. The luck elements are the random distribution of market cards and bookkeeping track tiles, but you still have choices there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Yi
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar cones to mind. Worker placement that checks off most those boxes. It doesn't really have luck except I believe you don't see what the 2nd age scoring tiles will be, so just a tiny bit. It's a little heavy for what I prefer in games, but it sure is a clever worker pavement system with the gears turning everything round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lewis & Clark - hard to play but rules are not that hard. Thematic good, all the characters in the games really existed. Fine to play with 2, but better with 3 or 4.

Kanban: Automotive Revolution - very hard, thematic very solid. Enough interaction. Not quite sure if you think there are too many options to play.

Bruxelles 1893 - pretty design, which fits the theme (you are an architect in bruxelles). Plenty of interaction.

Puerto Rico - thematic so so, but very solid game.

Rococo - the theme sound a bit girlish (you have to make dresses), but the gameplay is good. Check if you think it has enough interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agent easy wrote:

Twilight Struggle: I don't know how heavy you are looking for, but this is a long and deep game that looks like a wargame but plays out like a game of tug of war.

2 player only. I think Sarah may be looking for something that can play with more players.

Quote:

Tigris & Euphrates: a classic game which plays like an abstract, but which is thematically about the rise and fall of empires. Quite thinky.

Lots of cubes though. Maybe too abstract.

Quote:

Mexica: another game with a strong special element/ puzzle feeling, this one is about subdividing an island by placing canals.

Or even Tikal if/when it is re-released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casaubon wrote:
Kanban: Automotive Revolution - very hard, thematic very solid. Enough interaction. Not quite sure if you think there are too many options to play.

I think this is too heavy. Sarah was looking for 3.00-3.50. Kanban is apparently weigthed at 4.27 - although I don't think it is that heavy. Fairly open and may be AP prone.

Is Bruxelles 1893 available anywhere?

Maybe Keyflower would fit. Maybe Power Grid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Maybe take a look at Forge War (not a war game). It also has the ability to adjust the game length and complexity somewhat to suit your mood on any given play-through. I know Rahdo did a video for it you can check out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so im shooting a little blind as I don't know much about the games you listed.
But here's my suggestion:

It might be lighter than what your looking for but I think the player interaction will really sell it for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
Quote:

Lots of cubes though. Maybe too abstract.

I think it is one of his most thematic. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabi Games
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myrmes is thematic and looks thematic. It does have cubes though and you need a round or two to get to know the flow of your player board.

+1 for Kanban: Automotive Revolution. If you can play Dungeon Petz you can play Kanban. It has cubes though.

Power Grid might feel a little repetitive, but it is a great game.

And if you like messing without fighting you should give El Grande a go. Yes, it has loads of cubes (that all do the same thing), no it's not a weight 3, and yes it is repetitive, but it deserves it's position in the ranks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
casaubon wrote:

I think this is too heavy. Sarah was looking for 3.00-3.50. Kanban is apparently weigthed at 4.27 - although I don't think it is that heavy. Fairly open and may be AP prone.

Is Bruxelles 1893 available anywhere?

I immediately thought of Power Grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few random thoughts from my random head:

Mare Nostrum: Empires (has a 2-player option in Mare Nostrum: Empires – Atlas Expansion)
The new Agricola (revised edition)(with animeeples!)
Railways of the World or Steam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
SuperGLS wrote:

Hmm, I just watched a bit of play on both and have a few reservations on both to be honest. Sometimes I know straight away but really not sure about these two.

Viticulture seems good in most aspects, the board and bits are intuitive and obvious enough and it's certainly thematic but not sure whether there is enough player interaction as only saw this in the fighting for spots, it's hard to tell from just a couple of rounds but does this become more tenser the further you get into the game?? Is there the opportunity to figure out what your opponent is doing and try and get there first. not sure if there is enough of other likes to compensate (puzzle of some kind etc). Would need to study this much more in detail to purchase.

I like quite a bit about austrian hotel one. The dice is fine (not a dice fest, just the games way of changing what resources/options are available and the cubes are fine also. they are limited and only different foods - just trying to avoid those games with million of different cubes/bits and a lot of iconography on non illustrative places and not much else - is all too much for me mam lol! Again, not sure if much player interaction but the other things may compensate. There's a little puzzle to the rooms etc but one of my concerns is whether you really have to keep all you have in mind short term and long term and at all times and maybe too many targets for my mum's comfort, maybe enough luck to compensate?? Also one of my pet hates is unthematic actions - really not sure politics cards or impressing the emporer is really that thematic in regards to a hotel - could think of a million things that would suit better - trip advisor, michelin stars or even impressing the food hygeine inspector lol!!!!

Can I quickly ask if this would take approx an hour or less for 2 players, if so, we're a little less fussy with shorter games as I do fancy it a bit.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sean
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few that come to mind.

London
Isle of Skye
Arboretum
Fungi
Yedo

One heavier game that I have found to get better with more plays is Dominant Species.

Great filler games would be

Patchwork
Codenames
Port Royal

Light games but need a bit of thought.

Sorry if you gone through these before but this was a quick read and reply. Hope it helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Carson City: Big Box is your best bet. It oozes theme and, at the end of the day you really feel like you told a story of building a western town. It's not a cube pusher. It's a money and guns pusher. There is interaction and it can be high but it can be scaled (choice of role cards in setup and/or eliminate prisons as available building. There is luck but those dice rolls are often stand up rolls with lots of groans and cheers. Super fun game. It may not be perfect for two since there are no interactions between other players that may help or hinder you.

I enjoy Village and there are a couple of places where it's interactive but I wouldn't think of it as an interactive game. My Village may be a bit more interactive in that it is a die draft. I think I like the luck elements in this one more than in the original. Both enjoyable.

Automania may be a little too light for you but I find it thematic and has an appropriate amount of interaction. Luck is purely based upon what contract cards you draw and what assembly line features are available each round.

Good luck in your search. It must be terrific to share a hobby with your mom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
agent easy wrote:

Carson City: another worker placement game, but this one set in the Wild West.you build your town up with building, adding to the game a spatial relationship angle, and the workers can fight each other to compete for spaces.

Mexica: another game with a strong special element/ puzzle feeling, this one is about subdividing an island by placing canals. It's ultimately area control, but you create the areas as you go. Very confrontational and can be nasty. Really good, underrated game.

Good luck!

THank you

Alchemist - It looks like an interesting game but maybe for my friends. Bluffing/social deduction is my mum's weakest weakest point - she's one of those maths genius types whom find the inner workings of human behaviour and social clues sooooo completely beyond her lol!! Just wouldn't work lol!

Twilight struggle - personally I like games to take me away from the sorry state of the world lol. Does look like it could be interesting if really learnt the game but doubt would convince my mum to play second time. Not so keen on too much card/dice play for longer games - we have gubs for a short all out war - strangely one of mums favourites games????

Carson city - possibly - I'm sure I've seen a shorter game that plays very similar and slightly simpler but just can't remember the name. We also have colt express for shooting. However, this definately warrants a closer look so will find a play through to see how it plays when I'm not nearing bed time and let you know

Tigris and eurphrates - I'm not sure why but I switched off during video, abstract is my least favourite type of game even though I can play them well if I put my mind to it, I find it hard to get excited or want to put my mind to it for some reason. I can only do it for short periods of time before I switch off. My mum would like this but I have seen a game called the great zimbabwe which is abstracty, which if I could get hold off, would much better please me as well as my mum :-) In fact I should have added that to the list of games I've seen as looks like a lovely little game.

Ha mexica - you know, this is the most ideal game for my mum, not only does she favour spacial/route puzzles and building, she adores mexico and temples etc above all else. I would just get it for her and go along with it but if you say you can play real nasty, I can get on that for a while. However, really not sure can get it at reasonable price but will keep my eye out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Kayril wrote:
Take a look at Village, might be a match.

Thanks, I did in fact write this game off a while ago but this was around the time I just got back into games since the talisman and heroquest days of my childhood and hadn't quite yet realised that these types were not going to keep hitting the table as need more thinking since being a young child lol! I do love the concept of killing off your men on purpose sometimes. I will watch a play through and give it a proper chance this time, I could imagine this would work for my mum :-)

What's the player interaction like in real play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:

+! for each of these. So...+2.

Edit: Just seeing how someone else also immediately thought of Power Grid. I agree. It's elegant. Would point out that it is fairly mathy (or as OP would say, mathsy).

Also maybe The Castles of Burgundy. Obviously a classic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars. Would seem to fit all of your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is puzzly & thematic and plays 2-4 players. It has a bit of randomness and a bit of mean actions. Definitely not cooperative, despite having a map.

Covert

I would also look into:
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar as mentioned above. Fun worker placement with a "time" element where the more turns you keep a worker in a spot, the more valuable the reward.
Archipelago - 2-3 hours approx
Dominant Species - need at least 3 players in my opinion, and 3-4 hours
Keyflower - Good with the lower player counts. Fascinating bidding aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know the OP ruled out wargames but consider Cyclades and Kemet. The battle mechanisms are not drawn out. And they're definitely games of competition and player interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.