Popular Tags: [View All]
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Aside from Aardvarkus (from whom I bought my copy of the game, actually),
is anyone else a big fan of this game?

I am a big fan of this game, but there's very little discussion about it.
I play exclusively solitaire (not by choice) and I've got enough session hours in under my belt that I wonder why XXX.corps has so many units. It doesn't seem to bring but a fraction of them to bear throughout the game.

I find the victory conditions extremely difficult for the German to achieve. (Which is not to say I dislike the game - I love it).

If anyone wants to talk HH, I'm all eyes and keyboard fingers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Blackwell
England
Rotherfield
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also a solitaire player of this game not by choice. Haven't picked it up for a few years as it has a tendency to take too long to play. I'm very enthusiastic at the start and then get bogged down just like XXX Corps as it goes on.

My guess about the XXX Corps OoB is that it demonstrates very well (& annoyingly) how clogged up the roads get when you are trying to bring them onto the mapboard. Just moving 1 hex to allow a single unit to enter in travel mode from a huge offboard stack seems like a minor victory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Glass
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there are more than a few of us out here. My game has an enlarged and laminated map (its approx 9' long) that we always use.Might want to check out some of the other BGG threads for this game.

Victory conditions have always been an issue due to the end game "unit hunting", which the Allies due to simply kill units to get points. We usually play with 4, and in a roughly 10-hour game day, rarely get more than 12 turns completed, so are always frustrated at NOT being able to get the game done. I have posted a "Race for Arnhem" variant with modified victory conditions that actually work quite well.

Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Cool, I'll check it out.

Do you have any house rules?

I own two of the Victory Games "Insider" magazine-ettes (they came inside General magazine) that cover theory on Hell's Highway. There are some alternate variants in there; perhaps I should add them to the variants section.

I'm in the middle of a pretty interesting (solitaire) game myself at the moment. I'm only starting to figure out how to play the Germans well now. I've probably played the game 5 times now since I bought it in May (when I broke my damn hip, which brought me full-scale back into hex & counter).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Gents,

Just picked up HH - I am really looking forward to playing HH. After reading through some of the online resources - I couldn't get any info on what the scale is per hex...

I'll get an DAR/AAR going for my second battle as soon as I have it in my grasps!

-T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Lau
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best Market-Garden game.

All theaters, just good enough details, just about the optimum length of game play.

Both sides got to attack and defense; both sides race against the clock. Playing this game is like solving a puzzle.

Many cool game mechanics, H/L ZOC, Defensive Fire, Travel Mode, ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turpin
United Kingdom
Bar Hill
Cambs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also a great fan of this game. I also have a blown up map to play the game on plus the improved counters that are available to download. The map has always been one of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I. Alone
msg tools
You are a fan of the game but have "blown up the map"?! You could have just torched it rather than using explosives!

I have owned HH since it was released (cripes!) and it graces my gaming table at least once per year. Tis simply a superb design.

The average time required for the full game is about 21-23 hours.

I would strongly recommend the purchase of the replacement counters (via Mr Anderson) or the creation of a hand made set (via Mr Fawcett's images). I opted for the latter and the difference is as attractive as it easy helpful to aging eyes.

The OOB is a tad venerable in places, as you would expect after >30 years. However, methinks it would be quite difficult to successfully update and ensure consistency with the existing H/AT asset assignments.
I contacted Mr Butterfield to see if he still had any notes from his VG days, which could aid in such an endeavour but alas not. At least I had the opportunity to inform him what I thought of his design!

That said, it never detracts one iota from the joy of playing HH.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enven wrote:
Hey Gents,

Just picked up HH - I am really looking forward to playing HH. After reading through some of the online resources - I couldn't get any info on what the scale is per hex...

I'll get an DAR/AAR going for my second battle as soon as I have it in my grasps!

-T

On the back of the box: 1300 metres per hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.