Thunderstone» Forums » General

Subject: Should I get this game now? (1st edition) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Or is it too late? I found a sweet deal with thunderstone + all expansions + promos for €160. I never got a chance to buy Thunderstone Advance because of its high cost, and now that the 3rd edition is comimg out, should I buy this?

Also how does it compare to dominion in difficulty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:
Or is it too late? I found a sweet deal with thunderstone + all expansions + promos for €160. I never got a chance to buy Thunderstone Advance because of its high cost, and now that the 3rd edition is comimg out, should I buy this?

Also how does it compare to dominion in difficulty?

I would consider this a pretty good deal if everything is in good shape.

From the sound of it I am not going to take the dive into 3rd edition. Reading leading information about the 3rd edition, the 1st and 2nd editions sound like a better fit for me.

Dominion is okay, no theme and rather bland. I think Thunderstone oozes with theme, which is where I think it really shines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would most definitely save your money and get the 3rd edition. 1st Edition is good, but there was some balancing done for Advance. I wouldn't waste the money.

-SKi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Neubacher
Germany
Meckenheim
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[On Thunderstone]

Very thematic and thrilling. It is fun to find the most powerful combos to beat the monsters, which become very strong and evil ( at least their magnificient images ). And your heroes are getting stronger, if you level up ( is this possible in Dominion ? ( Sorry, I only looked at the first boxes and my good brain has forgotten nearly everything <g>).

[ 160 Euro as a deal ? ]

“rara est cara” like the Romans said. But only some boxes of Thunderstone are rare. The base-set and the 3rd and 4th expansion ( i.e Thornwood Siege and Heart of Doom ) are not very rare. I saw the last two in a combo for 25 Euro on ebay. Dragonspire is not an expansion, but a very good complete set on its own ( not really rare, but the sellers call for high prices because it is a good teaser ). Somewhat rare are Wrath of Elements and Doomgate Legion, especially within their original boxes. Some Promos are rare ( like Dragon-humanoid ).

Hmm, all Thunderstone ( without any TS-Advance ) .. let us calculate ( minimal prices ):
20 base
30 Wrath
30 Doomgate
30 Dragonspire
15 Thornwood
15 Heart of Doom
25 all Promos
----------

Not really a bargain, but a good price for a brilliant game. And prices are raising very fast. I can say that, because I bought many different TS- and TSA-boxes the last six months.

Don’t miss TSA ( TS Advance ). It’s more than a new layout of the cards. With “Into the Abyss” ( not published in Europe ) came level 4 heroes !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if the price might be right, I would not buy 1st edition Thunderstone.

First, there were tweaks and clarifications to card texts in Advance, which I suppose make the game even "better" and more balanced.

And in light of the upcoming 3rd edition I am pretty sure Advance will get better deals soon... But if you insist!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
mbmbmbmbmb
Get whatever you can find, man. Mixing Thunderstone sets is like having more options in a game like Dominion. If you like having options, more is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigerherz wrote:
Dragonspire is not an expansion, but a very good complete set on its own

That kinda depends on one's view of these things. I had base TS when I bought Dragonspire. Am I going to keep them separate just because DS also comes with starter cards? Um, no. Hence it expands the base game = expansion. Same deal (for me) with regard to Alliance and Mercenaries sets for Resident Evil DBG, both are stand-alone, but for me merely expand Premier.

Quote:
With “Into the Abyss” ( not published in Europe ) came level 4 heroes !!

Umm, what? The parenthesis bit I mean. I could order ItA from my FLGS (in Finland) right now and have it arrive tomorrow, it certainly is/was out in Europe.

On the OP's question, not sure if €160 is a bargain or not, I've probably paid far more than that for my almost complete set of classic TS, buying them when they were new, but then again, have gotten 250+ plays out of it, so I suppose it's been money well spent (well, sorta).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
Even if the price might be right, I would not buy 1st edition Thunderstone.

First, there were tweaks and clarifications to card texts in Advance, which I suppose make the game even "better" and more balanced.

And in light of the upcoming 3rd edition I am pretty sure Advance will get better deals soon... But if you insist!

Any date yet on 3rd edition kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Talbert
United States
Wesley Chapel
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter for 3rd edition is delayed until early 2017 according to reddit page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.