BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: UNO but with slightly more... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
A lot of the kids where I work like UNO but I'm getting tired of it. Are there any other card games that are similar in its play and simplicity that I could look at picking up? Family weight but also enjoyable enough for casual gamers as well. Thanks guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Johnston
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how about Yardmaster or Backyard Builders Treehouse? They remind me a bit of UNO...I sold Yardmaster but my kids have asked for it recently again so I may have to trade for it sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spooks is a fun UNO variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't laugh... Monopoly Deal Card Game might work.

Pit

No Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I also found Pina Pirata which has those rules and you have to match cards and also Tempurra which seems to be similar. Might check those out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
You don't need to pick up anything, play Bartok with a standard deck. Essentially UNO (crazy 8s) with a couple rules and round winners get to make up their own rules as the game goes on. LOTS of interaction and creativity. Kids will love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Свинтус adds some cool different wilds to Uno (think more modifiers like draw 2, draw 4, skip, reverse, etc). The downside is I only know of it in Russian, but maybe English editions are available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark w

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wonky is uno with crazy stacking blocks. Pictures do not do the blocks justice they are odd shaped and not as easy to stack as they appear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are looking for Red7
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Tem-Purr-A would be great. It has the same mechanism of matching the last player's card, but with a fun push-your-luck element.

And the biggest improvement over UNO is that it actually ENDS! The game accelerates as more Indigestion cards are added to a shrinking deck. Plus, it's awfully cute!

Some other possibilities are Swap!, Boom-O, and Sorry! Revenge Card Game. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game of Blame might be interesting where you match the faction icons on the blame pile or challenge another player that their faction is the one that is the cause of most of the kingdom's problems (the "winner" must take the blame pile). Can degenerate into a race to grab one particular role in the end game if there is one large blame pile people want to get rid of though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll vote for Linko!. Plays really quickly, a tiny bit of take that, and is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon's Cat Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schwupps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules McAleer
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Rhino! My kids love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
marcnelsonjr wrote:
I think Tem-Purr-A would be great. It has the same mechanism of matching the last player's card, but with a fun push-your-luck element.

And the biggest improvement over UNO is that it actually ENDS! The game accelerates as more Indigestion cards are added to a shrinking deck. Plus, it's awfully cute!

I was about to recommand that one. It seems to perfectly fit the OP's wish. I have it and it's pretty fun for what it is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exploding Kittens- has nearly identical rules I.E. play cards, draw cards, and the special abilities are like skip, draw, etc...the difference is instead of wanting to be the first man out, you want to be the last one alive! Check out the quick youtube video of the rules. It's well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for Schwupps if you can get it.

It's kind of like if Uno had four discard piles and there were different rules that could be manipulated to for playing cards to those piles.

I might also suggest Habe fertig which is very UNO like, and has a mechanism that utilizes a gap between two discard piles. Quite fun!

I also think Yardmaster, and Pina Pirata are both good choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Matarazzo
United States
East Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhino Hero is exactly what you are looking for. Wonky, mentioned above, is great fun too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
imtylerdurden wrote:
Exploding Kittens- has nearly identical rules I.E. play cards, draw cards, and the special abilities are like skip, draw, etc...the difference is instead of wanting to be the first man out, you want to be the last one alive! Check out the quick youtube video of the rules. It's well done.

Agreed. Exploding Kittens is UNO 2.0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks guys. I went with Tempurra. Got it on the cheap too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gergotz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Tem-Purr-A and also throw in Gods' Gambit if you can find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
The classic ones are

No Thanks!
Coloretto
6 nimmt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim A
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably what you're looking for is an older game called "Crazy 8's". What's nice about it is that you can play it with a standard deck of cards and you can look up the rules online, so it won't cost you anything.

Also, I have yet to find someone who doesn't enjoy "Love Letter". It's not Uno-like, but it's very quick. It's also best with 4 players, but can handle 3 or 2. And best of all, it's very inexpensive. Probably the only downside is that you have to ready the rules carefully or you will play incorrectly and not have as much fun. It's not like the rules are hard or lengthy, just that improper play will throw the game off balance. It's not like Monopoly, where you can throw in a hundred house rules and still have fun.

Oh, also, the makers of Uno put out a game called Skip-Bo. It also doesn't play like Uno, but it's interesting. Like Uno, it's based off an older card game that can be played with regular decks of cards, but I can't recall the name of that game atm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.