Popular Tags: marketplace [+] [View All]
Andrew Brown
United States
Reading
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically I am in a quandary, and I'm posting here because of the moral component - these are all wargames....

I recently used eBay to purchase the Assault series including Assault, Boots & Saddles, Cheiftain and Bundeswher, and spent some decent money doing it (all are unpunched).

But then I had an opportunity to purchase the entire unpunched set and the Reinforcements module as well. So now I have two copies of the four core games and let's face it I don't need two copies of each.

So do I sell on BGG or eBay? I want these to go to a good home, but I also don't want to lose too much money. I've bought stuff on BGG but it seems a bit slow, but I know I'm doing a good deed, but I sell and buy all sorts of things on eBay which is easy and fast....

I'm stuck - let me know your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing wrong with selling on BGG but if you want a faster sell then Ebay is likely the better choice. On the other hand you might also check here on BGG under trades and see perhaps if you can make a trade with your duplicate titles for another game you might be wanting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Denhup
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eBay would be my choice for quick $$$ but if you want to trade for other games: BGG is the place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want the most money, Ebay. If you want to cater to bleeding heart wimps, wear frilly underwear, and support terrorism, sell it on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't understand what this has to do with etiquette...

Sell on eBay, trade on BGG.

If you want to be assured they're going to go to a good home, sell/trade on Consimworld Marketplace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:

If you want to be assured they're going to go to a good home, sell/trade on Consimworld Marketplace

Seconded!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot to mention the third option:

Be charitable and give them to me!

Seriously, eBay's the place to go to get top monetary value. But if there are other games you want to get into your collection, then they are have solid trade value, especially since they are unpunched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG takes a smaller % if you sell it on the site, ebay takes a little bit more (selling costs, etc) If the games are of high demand, you shouldn't have a problem selling them or trading them here...I say KEEP IT IN THE FAMILY!!!

In regards to etiquette, just don't sell them for more than you paid, but again, its your choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's a question of etiquette. As long as you provide an accurate description of what you're selling or trading, the person who gets the game is getting more value than they're spending or trading (we can assume people only buy or trade because what they're getting is worth more to them than what they're giving up.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roach
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so your the one who bought those of ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Reading
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kjuice wrote:
so your the one who bought those of ebay.

Could be.... There is still a couple of the modules out there on eBay, but I was able to get all the games (and Reinforcements) from a friend right after I had just bought some of the modules on eBay.... Nothing like going overboard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is this an etiquette question?! YOU bought them off ebay. If YOU want to sell them on ebay, sell them on ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also see no moral quandry here. If somebody had given you the games or sold them to you at way less than market value because of some notion of gaming charity then I'd say you'd be really tacky to turn around and sell them for a huge profit. Otherwise, though, sell/trade them whereever works best for you!

One thing, though -- if you use BGG to publicize your Ebay sale (as I guess you already have), you may want to run the transaction through the BGG marketplace as well if the buyer tells you he heard about your auction on the Geek. You'll be out a few extra bucks, but that should alleviate any residual guilt you might feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Reading
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it wasn't technically an etiquette question. Maybe it was more of an advice on morals question.

I've decided to go ahead and sell these on the BCG Martketplace first and if that doesn't work out then we'll see (haven't put them on eBay yet BTW). Want to see them go to a good home, and I want to make sure I don't lose that much money. I'll also keep my eyes open for trades.

I've only been a member for few months but I've really enjoyed the discussions so far. Thanks everyone....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls