Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do terrain moves stop movement? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
If you had 8 movement points and used two to get to the edge of Elevated and then climbed down for 2-Skateboard...do you lose the rest of your movement points?

I know attacks dump your movement pool but I cant tell with Terrain Moves.

Wakrob
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Any given action icon can be used on a single action only. A terrain move is an action, so any icon used for that is spent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I understand that. Not my question. I am already assuming you used some Skateboards for movement and then DIFFERENT Skateboards for climbing down.

When you use an action you lose unspent movement points. Terrain Moves aren't specifically referred to as actions in the rulebook though at least Cover did use the word action on the card. Climb does not use the word action.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
You can't split up the icons on a die and use some now and some later. Each skateboard used for movement represents a number of movement equal to the Hero's stat.
If you use a die to move, then use a different die to make a terrain move, you can't then go back and keep using the move on the first dice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Jhamin wrote:
You can't split up the icons on a die and use some now and some later. Each skateboard used for movement represents a number of movement equal to the Hero's stat.
If you use a die to move, then use a different die to make a terrain move, you can't then go back and keep using the move on the first dice.


Alopex does break these rules though. She can break up her movement with other actions, although she still needs to spend skateboards to do terrain moves like everyone else.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Delthos wrote:
Jhamin wrote:
You can't split up the icons on a die and use some now and some later. Each skateboard used for movement represents a number of movement equal to the Hero's stat.
If you use a die to move, then use a different die to make a terrain move, you can't then go back and keep using the move on the first dice.


Alopex does break these rules though. She can break up her movement with other actions, although she still needs to spend skateboards to do terrain moves like everyone else.


True, but that is listed as her power on her character card. The fact that it is listed as a *special ability* is the exception that proves the rule that you cannot break up movement with a terrain move.

If everyone could do it, it wouldn't be a power.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Jhamin wrote:
Delthos wrote:
Alopex does break these rules though. She can break up her movement with other actions, although she still needs to spend skateboards to do terrain moves like everyone else.


True, but that is listed as her power on her character card. The fact that it is listed as a *special ability* is the exception that proves the rule that you cannot break up movement with a terrain move.

If everyone could do it, it wouldn't be a power.

I believe the OP's point is that climbing does not state that it is a separate action. So it could be considered part of a larger movement action. If it is and you had 8 movement points, then you could move 6, climb, and move 2 more, all as part of a single movement action.

Alopex's ability is most directly saying she can resume her previous movement after attacking, which is expressly forbidden under ordinary circumstances. (Of course, if climbing is a separate action then that would be included, as well.)

Note, I disagree with the OP, as I think that is an overly literal reading, and it makes sense that climbing would take enough effort to be an action of its own. But mine is obviously not the official word.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turtle Freak
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting... I thought that the grey sections of the terrain cards were all inherently special actions, so stating that it is an action in the description text would be redundant. Maybe that's an incorrect assumption, though. I'll have to check again when I get home.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure this is what we call "rules lawyering". This action isn't specifically called an "action", so does it count as an "action"?

Yes. Yes, it does.
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I guess the better question I should have asked is...

-Are all Terrain Moves considered actions (and thereby force you to lose any remaining movement points)

Wakrob
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation is that spending symbols from your action dice is an action. Wherever, however, whoever, (whyever?)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
CptBlood wrote:
I guess the better question I should have asked is...

-Are all Terrain Moves considered actions (and thereby force you to lose any remaining movement points)

Wakrob


Yes, if they have a skateboard cost on them they do. They are used just like Special Moves, but can be used in addition to your one special move per turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CptBlood wrote:
I guess the better question I should have asked is...

-Are all Terrain Moves considered actions (and thereby force you to lose any remaining movement points)

Wakrob


Yes.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan F
Canada
flag msg tools
CptBlood wrote:
If you had 8 movement points and used two to get to the edge of Elevated and then climbed down for 2-Skateboard...do you lose the rest of your movement points?

I know attacks dump your movement pool but I cant tell with Terrain Moves.

Wakrob


Given I've only played three scenarios so far, but many board games in the past, I'd read it like this:

Say you're using Michaelangelo, who gets four movement points for every skateboard icon. You have two skateboards.

You should actually resolve these one at a time, unless you are combining. So, if you combine two of them, you have 8 move points and you've used up all your skateboards, so you couldn't make a climb movement.

If you had three skateboards you could use one to move four or less spaces, then two more to climb.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zom B wrote:
CptBlood wrote:
If you had 8 movement points and used two to get to the edge of Elevated and then climbed down for 2-Skateboard...do you lose the rest of your movement points?

I know attacks dump your movement pool but I cant tell with Terrain Moves.

Wakrob


Given I've only played three scenarios so far, but many board games in the past, I'd read it like this:

Say you're using Michaelangelo, who gets four movement points for every skateboard icon. You have two skateboards.

You should actually resolve these one at a time, unless you are combining. So, if you combine two of them, you have 8 move points and you've used up all your skateboards, so you couldn't make a climb movement.

If you had three skateboards you could use one to move four or less spaces, then two more to climb.



If you've played many boardgames then you'd know that some, including Kevin's Descent 2E, allows movement to be interrupted for other actions or mechanics to happen during it before carrying on so the OP can ask.
But I think many/most players recognize that when the rules said you lose unused movement points as soon as you do another action this included Terrain moves - but still a fair question to ask.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.