Subject: Equalizing the Exploration Opportunities for all Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Though a little more planned than the pure randomness of the Exploration deck, I feel like I would enjoy the deck better knowing we all had an equal opportunity to find riches and hazards as we fly through the galaxy. So here was my idea for the variant:

1. Divide the Exploration deck into four separate decks of Crisis, Discovery, Virgin Worlds, and Civilization cards. Shuffle these decks face-down.

2. Make separate decks for each player with these cards, with equal amounts of each Exploration type. (I was told there were 15 of each type, so they would divide equally for 3 players and 1 card would be discarded from each for a 2-player game.)

3. Each player then shuffles their own personal deck and uses that deck for Exploration. In the rare case that you run out of cards in your personal deck, you instead will draw from one of your opponent's decks next time you need to draw an Exploration card and have none.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Edwards
msg tools
Hm interesting, if you play test this let us know how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh For me, that would remove the challenge of reacting to the good or bad fortune of the other players--which is part of the fun. Like in Star Trek Fleet Captains, a wild narrative is a big part of each individual game. I'd rather stick with the Exploration story as it evolves, and just start another game if is seems totally one sided.

Space is not for the faint of heart!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming that the number of cards in each "personalized" deck is (much) greater than the amount of systems you would explore in a given game, this does not alter the chance of drawing a good or a bad card. As a matter of fact, it changes nothing to the statistics involved at all.

The only way for this to work is for all players to have completely exhausted their decks. Otherwise, this will have changed nothing compared to the rules as written. Considering that there are 30 systems (among which several phenomena) and 60 exploration cards, indeed nothing will change at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a good option for a 2-player game. It should help mitigate some of the luck that can lead to the runaway leader issue that's so prevalent with just 2 players.

But with 3+ players, I agree with Jon that it would kill some of the narrative excitement. The three player game has less of a runaway leader issue, since it allows the trailing two playes to gang up on the guy who got lucky draws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
Assuming that the number of cards in each "personalized" deck is (much) greater than the amount of systems you would explore in a given game, this does not alter the chance of drawing a good or a bad card. As a matter of fact, it changes nothing to the statistics involved at all.

+1 to this. I don't think I've seen a game go through more than 1/3rd of the explore deck. The personalized decks would still be too large for the difference in randomization to be material. For this to work the way you want it to, you need to give each player only two or three cards of each type for their personal deck and then pull randomly from the remaining.

Somebody can correct me if I am wrong, but I'm not sure that 15 of each type is correct either. I sorted the cards when I unboxed the game and I for some reason I have it in my head that the piles were not even. At the very least, I know there are no virgin worlds in the 50 year bonus cards, so the distribution of cards will be different in future printings of the game. If you want to get super nit picky about the probabilities, these personal decks will not actually be representative of the full deck. I agree that this would introduce some fairness/balance in the card pull, but I would also want to see if the changes would affect the Federation's culture bonus before committing to terms of this variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just shuffle all but the crisis cards take the first 6 out, then shuffle the crisis cards and put the first 6 on top. It would match the first 6 planets.

At first I wanted to take three known planets and place them in a faction stack. These were to be adjacent to homeworld planets. Such as Vulcan would be in the Federation stack. But there is no vulcan (why GF9?) so who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely because, while it makes no sense to some, it may show up later as a separate faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.