Subject: Will it be Easier or Harder to Obtain Content for this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Weaver
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It will help me to know whether or not the discontinuation of this game because of FFG and GW split will...

A) make it easier to get expansions and content and hunt down everything on the basis that many players will sell what they have because it is no longer being supported...

OR

B) Drive up prices because they won't produce anymore making it more difficult to get anything.

I'm afraid it's B but if you think it would still be possible to get everything without spending much more than retail after January, that would be great to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Sunnyvale
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My bet is that for a while, retailers will be discounting everything to get it off their shelves. After that supply is gone, prices will likely go up. Especially the expansions that only saw one release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Vives
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch for the FFG sale around Thanksgiving, that might be your best opportunity. Note that some of the last cycle of card packs is already becoming hard to find, as it almost certainly only had a single print run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
norgano wrote:
B) Drive up prices because they won't produce anymore making it more difficult to get anything.

Overall, this is my bet. Heck, it's arguably already true for the last expansion cycle (as previously mentioned).

More specifically, I suspect that it will be relatively easy to get ahold of the core, Warlord cycle, and Tyranid deluxe as people offload their collections and stores try to clearance old stock. I suspect there are a fair number of people who collected through the Warlord cycle, and then dropped the game when there was such a big delay before Tyranids who will be looking to ditch their collections (this is just a gut feeling based on what I've seen in forums up until now; could be completely off base). The Tyranid deluxe seems like it had a pretty big print run, and didn't sell as well as they expected; at least locally, I've seen a lot of these in stock whenever I'm in a store that sells Conquest.

Necron deluxe and Planetfall may or may not be easy to obtain. I suspect there will be some people selling full (or almost full) collections that include these, but most of the people who collected through this point were the true believers who are less likely to ditch everything until/unless they find a game to replace Conquest, and at least locally stores tended to run very small quantities of these (probably because their shelf space was still taken over by Warlord cycle that didn't sell). Whether you're able to find these at a decent price likely relies on luck and timing.

As for the Death World cycle...good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Long term, releases for the game will become prohibitively expensive, with the possible exception of the core set. Short term, picking up stuff in the near future should be pretty cheap, as stores clear their stock, but once that's gone, it's gone.

So, basically what others have already said.

This is already happening with some of the other FFG Warhammer games. The character packs for the Warhammer Quest ACG were already up to $70 the last time I checked (they retailed for $6).

Assault on Ulthuan can run as much as $400, (this was the first deluxe release for the Warhammer: Invasion LCG).

So... yeah, this is probably going to get a lot pricier fairly soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The lcg status means that the core set, big expansions, and most cycles should be easy to find. Lcgs don't usually retain their value like ccgs when they go oop as they thrive with active tournament scenes (and lcg means no limited edition production cards). This game had its last major tournament scene, and won't be supported by ffg anymore = death of most Lcgs (but it will still live on in casual play).

The only hard to find things will be the tournament le alternate art cards/tokens, and the last cycle of cards due to a more limited production schedule.

If you wait too long, the supply will dry up as previously stated by others in this thread. That means that scalpers will ask ridiculous prices due to supply and demand. So buy now = reasonable or cheap, or buy later = pay the piper.

For reference I just bought the first two warlord cycles on ebay new in package for $8 a pack and free shipping. The last cycle cost me $13 a pack on ebay with free shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just go and check the Asmodee holiday sale @ fantasyflightgames.com - they're selling the base game $20 and the expansion packs $3 each...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
There must be something wrong with the FFG shop. I get insane shipping costs. Tried adding ONLY a pack of sleeves - just shy of $48 for shipping on a $2 item! At least I could stomach the old $20 option, but this is one sale I'll skip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I added four books for Warhammer 40k RPG for $20 and the shipping to the UK came out at $90. Such a shame as the sale prices are great especially on Conquest items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Also posted in the general FFG sale thread, but here again for entertainment:
The most expensive sleeves in the world!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stewart
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had purchased the core game a while ago. Had a lot of fun with it, but didn't want to jump into a 2nd LCG (we were / are Netrunner addicts).

However, with this about to be super rare, I made the effort the track down everything.

FFG's store in MN had the first 2 cycles for $3 / pack.
A mix of online stores had the 3rd cycle, though the usual suspects were sold out.

I thinking collecting everything *new* is going to be near impossible by the end of the year. Used collections on eBay might pop up... who knows...

For about $200 I as able to get a complete set (3x core).
Given how good this game is, and the possible "flip" in the future if our group does get bored with it, seems like a good idea to snap it up QUICK.
(especially if you live in MN close to FFG's HQ)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.