Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Chang
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

According to page 4 of the rule book:
Quote:
A sample (a die with the "Collect sample" result and an Infection die) stays "locked up" on your Role card until you give samples to another player or to try to Find a cure.

My question is, doesn't it just say that not only when I roll dice to find a cure, but when I give samples to other players in the same region as I am, the sampling dice are unlocked? Right?

Nonetheless, I've never seen any podcast or players talk about this, and had seen on The Gameboy Geek's review, there was a scene that one character has different color of sampling dice given from other players...
But based on how the rule book says (the quotation above), shouldn't it be once when you give samples to others, your dice are free and you can take them back, leaving only infection dice kept by your friends?

Since the rule book says so, I'm feeling pretty confused.
Can someone please confirm what is correct? Much appreciation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rulebook quote you included, a "sample" is defined as both the jar die and the infection die. If you don't have both, then you no longer have a "sample". With that framing...

"Take all samples of one disease color on your Role card and hand them to one other player in your region" clearly means to hand both dice to the other player.

"If the total rolled is less than 13, you failed to find a cure. Keep the samples" means you hang onto both dice.

Note also step 3 under the "Success" section of "Try to Find a Cure":
Quote:
3. Hand the player dice that “bottled up” these samples back to their owners.

If you had given them back their dice earlier, that step wouldn't make any sense.

Going back to your original quote, I agree that it could be read two different ways. Either "the die is locked up until you..." or "the die remains on your role card until you..." The latter is the intended meaning. They could have been a bit clearer there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James David Romo
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice stays locked up ON YOUR ROLE CARD until you give samples to other players or try to find a cure.

Once you do one of those things, you take them off your role card (and give them to another player, or roll them for a cure).

Check page 6

Quote:
When you are done rolling and taking actions, if you have any samples on your Role card, you may give samples to another player
in your region.
Take all samples of one disease color on your Role card and hand them to one other player in your region. This player puts these
samples on her Role card.
Doing this puts more samples of this disease color together, which increases a teammate’s chance to find a cure (see below).

A sample as defined on page 4

Quote:
A sample (a die with the “Collect sample” result and an Infection die)

So you use a Bottle die face to create a sample, which is your die + a disease cube from the Treatment Center. It sits on your role card forever, until 1. You pass the Sample (your die+disease die) to another player, or 2. The disease is cured.

There is one more situation that unlocks your die. It's at the end on page 8

Quote:
If you ever begin your turn and all of your dice are locked up as samples, you may unlock one of them to roll. Place the extra
Infection die “sample” into the Treatment Center.

Bottling up Samples is risky because it limits your options the more dice you have locked up. You can pass them to other players but they'll stay locked up until a cure is found. If you lock up ALL your dice then you can choose to dump a sample on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chang
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay thank you guys for the clarification. I think I understand what the rule book is trying to convey now.

Yet I still have another question, which kind of explains why I misunderstood the wording before:

Since there's no limitations on how many samples one character can keep, shouldn't most people care fairly little about whether having samples on their cards or not lest they have more than one type of diseases?
I myself would consider more on trying to have more dice available to use rather than sending samples away though...
After all, a locked die is just locked no matter it's on your card or on someone else's, right?

Or maybe I've lost some points somehow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with your question, but you're right: a locked die is a locked die.

Whether it's on your card or with somebody else, you still can't use the die. But if it's on somebody else's card, it's because they either have a better chance of rolling for a cure or they can roll before you can (since you get your dice back immediately once a cure is found).

That's why you would give samples to somebody rather than holding on to them yourself if somebody else has better odds.

Does that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James David Romo
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
humanpaul wrote:
Okay thank you guys for the clarification. I think I understand what the rule book is trying to convey now.

Yet I still have another question, which kind of explains why I misunderstood the wording before:

Since there's no limitations on how many samples one character can keep, shouldn't most people care fairly little about whether having samples on their cards or not lest they have more than one type of diseases?
I myself would consider more on trying to have more dice available to use rather than sending samples away though...
After all, a locked die is just locked no matter it's on your card or on someone else's, right?

Or maybe I've lost some points somehow

Every role in the base game can bottle a Sample. And you're right. Whether you are carrying it, or you pass it to someone else, you are still a die down and have less options. It's a risk you have to take. You pass samples so one player has more so they have a better chance at hitting 13 and curing.

I'm of the opinion that you should only focus on one color at a time. My wife says you should always go for 2 at a time. You can lock up so many dice and not have enough to hit the cure going for multiple colors at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EntropyGuardian wrote:
I'm of the opinion that you should only focus on one color at a time. My wife says you should always go for 2 at a time.

I strongly agree with each of you, depending on player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chang
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got it.
Thank you guys for the detailed clarification and examples! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A sample (a die with the "Collect sample" result and an Infection die) stays "locked up" on your Role card until you give samples to another player or to try to Find a cure.
I agree with the OP that this is a very mis-leading statement. This thread did a great job of clarifying. But I would definitely recommend adding a clarifying statement in the rule book if the game has a future release.

I'd recommend adding:
Quote:
A sample (a die with the "Collect sample" result and an Infection die) stays "locked up" on your Role card until you give samples to another player or to try to Find a cure. When you give a sample to another player, your die stays locked up on that player's role card until a cure is found (or it is the die chosen to be unlocked when all your dice were locked as samples).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.