Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: Should I consider escalation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On most missions, there are escalation steps which change the game rule. I am curious to hear other players' experience: do you consider this when programming or not?

For example, on Mission 2
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Minion spawns two rows of minions when you collect the first crystal. Do you consider this, and maybe delay collecting crystal, or do you "ignore" this and let yourself "get caught" by the surprise?

Also, what is the developer's intention on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Well, the rules say you should be sure to read the escalation rules and prepare for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Quote:

Well, the rules say you should be sure to read the escalation rules and prepare for them.

Personally I think it's more fun to not read ahead. The game isn't crazy difficult anyways, and if it catches you by surprise and you lose, you can take it into account the next time you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Quote:

Oh, I must have missed this! Could you point me which part of the manual/glossary or dossier this is in?

Felkor wrote:

Personally I think it's more fun to not read ahead. The game isn't crazy difficult anyways, and if it catches you by surprise and you lose, you can take it into account the next time you play.

Yes, I also think that it is more exciting to not read ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
StormKnight wrote:
Quote:

Oh, I must have missed this! Could you point me which part of the manual/glossary or dossier this is in?

It's in the section of the Tutorial where you first learn about Escalations.

Tutorial wrote:
Escalation!
Missions may include one or more moments when the conditions and rules change.
Typically, a Mission will escalate in difficulty and complexity.
Escalations are triggered by specific player actions or at a certain time in the Mission.
Read escalation rules carefully before you start and adjust your strategy accordingly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Gray
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Esvath wrote:
On most missions, there are escalation steps which change the game rule. I am curious to hear other players' experience: do you consider this when programming or not?

For example, on Mission 2
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Minion spawns two rows of minions when you collect the first crystal. Do you consider this, and maybe delay collecting crystal, or do you "ignore" this and let yourself "get caught" by the surprise?

Unless there's a warning NOT to turn to the next page, you're generally expected to real the whole mission briefing through I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tiras
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
It's critical you know what the escalation steps are, otherwise you'll not do them appropriately (ie. in mission one, if you don't read about the escalation steps, you'd never start using the timer!)

Given that we lay out those rules, it's 100% valid to plan for escalation. That said, don't skip ahead and see what that escalation is if you're instructed to stop reading! The surprise is part of the fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.