There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
Using Globalization Victory as an example:
Quote:
To win, you must have:
(1) Two more Concessions than any of your opponents and
(2) more Discovery Prestige than any of your opponents.

In a three-player game, for example, where I have 2 Discovery Prestige and my opponents have 1 and 0 Discovery Prestige respectively, do I satisfy condition (2) or would both of my opponents have to have 0 Discovery Prestige?

Similar question for every other use of "any".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:
Quote:
To win, you must have:

In a three-player game, for example, where I have 2 Discovery Prestige and my opponents have 1 and 0 Discovery Prestige respectively, do I satisfy condition (2) or would both of my opponents have to have 0 Discovery Prestige?

Your example clearly satisfies condition (2), and I'd read the use of any as meaning every other opponent considered individually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:
Quote:
To win, you must have:

"Any" means considering each opponent individually. Also (1) and (2) are considered individually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:
golden_cow2 wrote:
Quote:
To win, you must have:

"Any" means considering each opponent individually. Also (1) and (2) are considered individually.

I am still not sure of the intended meaning here, sorry.

If there are 3 players and you have 2 Discovery prestige, one opponent also has 2 Discovery prestige and the other has 1 Discovery prestige, can you satisfy condition 2 since you have more of this prestige than one of your opponents? If I consider each opponent individually, I can find a case where I have more prestige than one.

I really doubt this is how it goes though. I think we have to have more prestige than all of our opponents, considering each individually. You have to have more prestige than every individual opponent. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arjisme wrote:
If there are 3 players and you have 2 Discovery prestige, one opponent also has 2 Discovery prestige and the other has 1 Discovery prestige, can you satisfy condition 2 since you have more of this prestige than one of your opponents?

No. If one opponent has 2 Discovery prestige and the other 1 Discovery prestige, then you need 3 Discovery prestige. i.e. more than each of your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
In the living rules, I added some parentheticals to each of the victory conditions which I hope clarifies the intent:

L3. Holy Victory (Torquemada).
To win, you must have more Prestige in the supreme Religion than any of your opponents (each considered individually, e.g. if 3 players have supreme Prestige of 0, 1, and 2 respectively, only the last can win).

L4. Imperial Victory (Charles V).
To win, you must have at least two more empire cards on their King side (doesn't matter if Suzerains or Vassals) than any of your opponents (each considered individually).

L5. Globalization Victory (Columbus).
To win, you must have:
(2) more Discovery Prestige than any of your opponents (each considered individually).

L6. Renaissance Victory (Leonardo).
To win, you must have:
(1) More Republics than any of your opponents and
(2) at least two more Law Prestige than any of your opponents (each considered individually).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens in a 2 player game where one player has many more concessions but there is no discovery prestige out on any tableau yet (as in no prestige cards have appeared)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taranto
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then you probably shouldn't activate that condition except to "hatedraft" it and prolong the game, since neither player can claim it without at least 1 Doscovery prestige. Both MUST be met.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, but keep in mind that Portugal always has a discovery prestige, though, so if whoever has the most concessions in your example manages to "acquire" it, the victory condition is met.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.