Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,I've just played through the game for the first time with 2 players.
The following occured.
I had 3 cowboys and there were 6 cattle cards on offer.
Could I use a cowboy to add 2 cattle (making 8 total even though 7 is max with 2 players)?
If yes,then can I use 1 cowboy to do this,then use my other 2 cowboys to purchase cattle that I just added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridjof B
Norway
Tranby
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can imo.
The rules does not limit the cattle display to 7 (in a 2p game). Only when you MUST fill up the market (start + due to the job market token passes the yellow arrow) the player count limitations applies. When you use a cowboy (OPTIONAL) to add 2 cattle the market can temporarily be larger than 7 in a 2p game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keighleyrob wrote:
Hi,I've just played through the game for the first time with 2 players.
The following occured.
I had 3 cowboys and there were 6 cattle cards on offer.
Could I use a cowboy to add 2 cattle (making 8 total even though 7 is max with 2 players)?
If yes,then can I use 1 cowboy to do this,then use my other 2 cowboys to purchase cattle that I just added.
Yes, you can! That's the whole idea of using a cowboy to enhance the offering: add more choice which you then purchase with your remaining cowboy(s). This may very well result in more cows on the market than the size it had at the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The quantity of cattle listed for each player count is not a limit on the quantity that can be in the market. Rather, it determines how many cows you place in the display (cattle market) at the start of the game, and how many cows you may need to add when the job market token moves along a yellow arrow.

Per page 8, if the market contains fewer cattle than what's listed for the player count, then you add cattle to bring the quantity up to that. If the quantity is already equal to (or greater than) the quantity listed, then you don't add any more cows.

The only way for a cattle to "leave" the market is a player purchasing it (in which case they move it into their discard pile).

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmb
The issue we encountered regarding this was when the two cows per cowboy are added. The rules state;

Any of the cowboys that you do not put to use buying a cattle card during this action may instead be used to draw 2 cards from the market cattle stack and add them face up to the cattle market.

The rule implies that the cows are bought first seeing how it is the remainder (those 'that you do not use buying cattle') that are used to obtain cards. In the absence of a need to declare an allocation, if the cards could be taken first, zero cowboys would have been used to buy cattle. We reasoned that there was an order to this action because otherwise it would have been an easy job to spell the 'alternative' rule out along the lines of;

A player's cowboys are allocated between the options of card selection and cow buying. These may be completed in any order

In the absence of a statement that directs that these actions can be completed in any order, we foresaw a situation where a player might use one cowboy at a time to draw cards, fishing for the required cow, rather than committing to a fixed number and that would be a more time consuming and fiddly process and the official rules don't expressly allow that or imply it.

I'd appreciate an official ruling if possible. Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AD .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same question, can you choose to add cows to the market first before buying a cow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
The issue we encountered regarding this was when the two cows per cowboy are added. The rules state;

Any of the cowboys that you do not put to use buying a cattle card during this action may instead be used to draw 2 cards from the market cattle stack and add them face up to the cattle market.

The rule implies that the cows are bought first seeing how it is the remainder (those 'that you do not use buying cattle') that are used to obtain cards.
I think the statement means that you can't "double count" cowboys. It doesn't say that you have to decide how to use all of your cowboys at once.

I suggest the following, assuming my own interpretation is correct:
suggested wording wrote:
You may use each of your cowboys to draw 2 cards at a time from the market cattle stack and add them face up to the cattle market. Any cowboys used to draw cards can't be used to buy a cattle card(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All answers are correct. You can use 1 cowboy to put 2 cattles into the market and then buy or put another 2 cattle in the market for another cowboy and then choose again etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the prompt reply Alexander. One for the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome.
Thanks very much everyone.
Really enjoyed this initial play.
Now I fully understand this rule,the rest is pretty straight forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.