7 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: 6 player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastiaan van Steenbergen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
This game is 2 to 5 players, but my standard group consists of 6 people.
I really don´t want to bench anyone and I can´t figure out any reason this game wouldn´t work with 6 players.

Does anyone here have a good argument as to why this wouldn´t work just fine as a 6 player game?(minor balancing issues aside)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Longer downtime. You'd also have less starter cards per person. There's only 25 cards and in a 5p game everyone gets 5 each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been asked a bunch of times.
But my standard answer is: If you're going to play with more than 5 players, play with "teams" instead.
I have played a "5-player" game where one of the "players" was a group of 2 newbies who collaborated on their decisions, and it worked great.

If you actually want to play with 6 separate players, you technically could do it with the base game + expansion materials and putting a few more item cards in each location, but it would make the game feel exponentially longer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philip chadwell
msg tools
Sorry I don't have a link but I think one of the creators said on reddit or something that the game plays just fine with 6, they had intended it to be that way or something.
But yeah, the downtime will be longer. I actually just played yesterday (6 of us) and everyone really enjoyed it. The game took a very long time (like 2.5 to 3 hours) but that was more due to most of the people having never played it before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lear
United Kingdom
Lewes
Sussex
flag msg tools
With skill his story will unfold
mbmbmb
How did you sort out the starting cards? 4 each?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philip chadwell
msg tools
yes, exactly. 4 each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Lockwood
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Go for it. We've played with six, and it was longer, sure (although we did have one new player to initiate), but still enjoyable. Deal four cards instead of five (and return one to the box), and one player doesn't get a player aid.

You might also select a scenario that's 6+ rounds long so there's at least the possibility that everyone will get to be the start player.

One player did have the "there are 12 survivors total" goal, which is a little broken because we start the game with 12 survivors, so it's a little easy.

Otherwise, I'd recommend it if you just know that the downtime is upped. It's an engaging, cooperative game, so it doesn't bother me much since we do a lot of suggesting and involving in other people's turns.

Six is fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.