Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King» Forums » General

Subject: Few questions about some rulings and longevity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Southworth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the tutorial for this several weeks ago but played our first proper game last night, 4 heroes in Arcade Mode.

Couple of clarifications sprung to mind whilst playing.

1. I saw in another thread somewhere on BGG that Treasure is only obtainable from chests and mini-bosses. Whilst I could find in the instructions the mention of chests looting either 1 or 2 cards depending on whether or not a key was used, I couldn’t find anything mentioning mini-bosses granting Treasure as opposed to loot.

2. Could Emerald drink an Emergency potion during the Consol round to utilise her Heal 2 ability?

3. When the instructions state that once per Consol round a character can use an emergency potion, is that only a single potion full stop per Consol round? Or is it a single potion for each character per Consol round?

Finally an observation/question about replayability. If I’m not mistaken, my base game of SDE:FK came with 4 spawn points (2 of each), 1 boss and 2 mini bosses. Given that the minimum number of spawn points in any given game is 3 (in a 3 hero game) then out of the box the base game provides little to no variety. In our first game we saw all the creatures the game has to offer. Whilst i'm aware the game has several expansions surely there needs to be more variety than “do I go for 1 Bramble Knight and 2 Hollow Growths? Or do I go for 1 Hollow Growth and 2 Bramble Knights?” Also, in a 5 hero game it suggests 5 spawn points but there were only 4 in the box?

I did enjoy the game and I think it offers something different than say Descent or Arcadia Quest so it is one I’ll be playing again, but i'm not sure how much more before it gets samey. I hope the Legends expansion comes out soon so we can experience a campaign which will hopefully add variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zaphoduk wrote:
Finally an observation/question about replayability. If I’m not mistaken, my base game of SDE:FK came with 4 spawn points (2 of each), 1 boss and 2 mini bosses. Given that the minimum number of spawn points in any given game is 3 (in a 3 hero game) then out of the box the base game provides little to no variety. In our first game we saw all the creatures the game has to offer. Whilst i'm aware the game has several expansions surely there needs to be more variety than “do I go for 1 Bramble Knight and 2 Hollow Growths? Or do I go for 1 Hollow Growth and 2 Bramble Knights?” Also, in a 5 hero game it suggests 5 spawn points but there were only 4 in the box?

I think this comes down to pricing and marketability.

Imagine how big and expensive the core box would have been if they'd added even one more spawn type and it's associated critters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Millard
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zaphoduk wrote:

1. I saw in another thread somewhere on BGG that Treasure is only obtainable from chests and mini-bosses. Whilst I could find in the instructions the mention of chests looting either 1 or 2 cards depending on whether or not a key was used, I couldn’t find anything mentioning mini-bosses granting Treasure as opposed to loot.

2. Could Emerald drink an Emergency potion during the Consol round to utilise her Heal 2 ability?

3. When the instructions state that once per Consol round a character can use an emergency potion, is that only a single potion full stop per Consol round? Or is it a single potion for each character per Consol round?

1. If you smash a chest, you get 1 Treasure. If you use key/pick the lock, you get 2 Treasures. You get 1 Treasure from a mini boss death.

2. Green potions can be used at any time and on anyone. Her potion is Blue, so it needs to be used during her turn as a support skill.

3. Some items/characters allow you to have more than 1 potion equipped. This means that they can only use 1 Green potion during console round instead of 2. Each character that has one can use one though.

As for re-playability and your thoughts on that. You achieve this buy the different heroes, mini/bosses, enemies, and lastly, tiles. Each time you play you will also have different loot depending on the bosses you're fighting, so that adds a little difference to your equipment as well. The expansions are what keep the game fresh and always different for me. Having the base game, while great, will get to a stalemate in time. However, it has enough replayability for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Craig,

zaphoduk wrote:

The layout of the book can feel a little disheveled at times. In the Power-Up section, you'll find:

Arcade Book 2015 wrote:
The party may draw one card from the Treasure Deck for each mini-boss or boo booty destroyed.

zaphoduk wrote:

Answered above but as a reminder, a Hero may drink one potion on its turn and one green potion during the Consul turn, but may never drink a potion mid-action.

Rules are per individual Hero.

Arcade Book 2015 wrote:
A Hero may drink a single emergency potion during the Consul Turn.

zaphoduk wrote:

I'll try not to get into a speech here, but if you only find a game replayable because you're seeing a different monster than you've never seen before, then you're going to be spending a lot of money!

Simply changing the tiles can have a dramatic effect on the game.

Keep in mind this is, at its heart, a miniature game so the game is built on the need to buy expansions to flesh it out, which if you like the game, you should definitely do and luckily they're reasonably priced.

If you like the Fae Forrest theme, I'd definitely look into Emerald Valley and Goro for a second boss. Each war band comes with two spawn points -- sometimes paired -- and a mini-boss. I think the only thing that feels lacking is in the bosses as, well, there's Mr. King and Goro if you want to stick with the theme.

Otherwise, you can buy some haunted house tiles, Crystailia tiles, undead town, haunted house level, and it looks like the next wave will have lava, ice caverns, spooky towers, etc. I think you'll run out of money before variety

I'll offer two tips though: remember this is a competitive game, not a story game. The Consul should try to win as the Heroes are. Treat the game as a competition as it is and then you won't feel so much that you need 1000 different monsters.

Final note. Go to the Legends kickstarter and download the beta rules for Classic. They are much improved over the Forgotten King and earlier rules. Both much cleaner and much more interesting and it also has two alternative modes of play: Rescue the Prince and Find the Artifact, both of which change up the game quite nicely.

Anyway, I hope the helps. It's a very fun and charming game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.