Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter de Boer
Austria
Velden
Carinthia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I was thinking if there would be any situation where a player or a corporation would consider closing companies that are still profitable.

There was just one scenario I could think of. Suppose player A is the president of corporation X, holding just one share. Corporation X has several profitable companies. Player B also has one share of corporation X. Player A has priority over player B. Now player A closes as much as possible companies of corporation X in phase 7 and dumps his president share in phase 3, in order to hurt player B.

Would that be a realistic scenario? Has anyone ever seen this in a game? Or is this something that would never happen?

Would there be any other situation where closing profitable companies would be a realistic option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
weisswurst wrote:
Recently I was thinking if there would be any situation where a player or a corporation would consider closing companies that are still profitable.

There was just one scenario I could think of. Suppose player A is the president of corporation X, holding just one share. Corporation X has several profitable companies. Player B also has one share of corporation X. Player A has priority over player B. Now player A closes as much as possible companies of corporation X in phase 7 and dumps his president share in phase 3, in order to hurt player B.

Would that be a realistic scenario? Has anyone ever seen this in a game? Or is this something that would never happen?

Would there be any other situation where closing profitable companies would be a realistic option?

I did it to someone once in a PBF game here but I am not convinced it was the best move for the situation. It was certainly a FUN move though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Moreno Serrano
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Join us every Tuesday night at the Woking Gaming Club!
badge
Interested in knowing in which games I'm working at the moment? Send me a geekmail to discover!
mbmbmbmbmb
weisswurst wrote:

I did that in my first game (Jay was there by the way). At the time I was winning (at least in my head). After that move I lost. Rolling Stock is not really like your typical 18xx game, so this company dumping is not as devastating as in 18xx. I have played the game many times after that and never did the same thing again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.