Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
andrea melegari
Italy
parma
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, we played our 2nd game yesterday and in both games it seemed that the green territory cards are the way to go. They give you a lot more resOurces than yellow buildings , they only have a requirment in term of military power that is far easier to gain and they also provide a lot of end game poi nts. I found them quite unbalanced indeed. The blue characters are way harder to collect since they often require a lot of money ( money is very li ited since you have always to pay 3 coins when placing in an occupied tower). Perhaps addìng the leader the gameplay is a bit different. Are the other strategies more balanced?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should indeed play the full game and add leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buzzlightyear wrote:
Hi, we played our 2nd game yesterday and in both games it seemed that the green territory cards are the way to go. They give you a lot more resOurces than yellow buildings , they only have a requirment in term of military power that is far easier to gain and they also provide a lot of end game points. I found them quite unbalanced indeed. The blue characters are way harder to collect since they often require a lot of money ( money is very li ited since you have always to pay 3 coins when placing in an occupied tower). Perhaps addìng the leader the gameplay is a bit different. Are the other strategies more balanced?!

Wait... two entire games, you say? The chink in Lorenzo's armor is exposed. I assume the game was playtested hundreds of times -- but I bet they never dreamed of trying a definitive two times!

Seriously, 'tho, I'd give it another few tries...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrea melegari
Italy
parma
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes i know the authors and i know the game had a very long playtest, so i assume it must be balanced. I just wonder why the green territories provide so much VP while the yellow ones none. My first Assumption was a mine mistake in reading the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Lopiano
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played yesterday my first game, four players, we went for very different strategies, the final scores were pretty close.

I won by getting six purple cards, thanks to a couple of blue cards that made them cheaper. I spent lots of military points and money (obtained from a couple of yellow cards) to get high value purple cards.
I also got 19 points from the faith track (the excommunication tile for the last round was about not getting points from blue cards, and since two other players only had one blue card each they didn't even bother).

Second place went to a player with six blue cards and a few yellow cards. He had a good engine that allowed them to buy cards cheaply, also had a card that gave +3 on production so he could produce efficiently every turn.

The player on third place got most of her points from yellow cards, with four territories and a couple of purples. She also had first place on military track.

One point behind her was the player who went for green cards (six of them), shared first place on military track, lots of resources that he spent to buy some purple and yellow cards.

This is just a data point from one game, but it felt very well balanced.

I think the most powerful moves were about chaining cards who triggered other actions (e.g. a card's immediate power was spending a six on the blue column, allowing to get a card which triggered another six on any column for a card that triggered a 4 on a production etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathryn Harmon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buzzlightyear wrote:
Yes i know the authors and i know the game had a very long playtest, so i assume it must be balanced. I just wonder why the green territories provide so much VP while the yellow ones none. My first Assumption was a mine mistake in reading the rules.

The yellows give you immediate victory points when you take them, between 2 & 10 points, you could get to twenty points with only 4 yellow cards. I agree that working up the military track to fill the greens and then spending that military down is one good strategy, but there are a ton in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a relatively new player (2 full games), I've also found this to be the best beginner friendly strategy. I won my latest game with 99 points and having the full allotment of 6 green cards (as well as 15 points from blue and 25 points from purple). It provides lots of resources which allow for flexibility, requires military which can be used to buy other cards later, as well as the 20 points.

My concern is that I think it would be hard to play without at least a couple green cards, and the points are weighted such that once you start down that path, it makes so much sense to keep going. For example, having 3 green cards is just 1 point, but the next 3 net you 19 points.

I'm sure there are more strategies out there, but that's certainly the one my group has latched onto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If multiple players are trying to get six territories, it will become very expensive. Also, they will be racing to take the harvest action as well as any cards that award military.

I haven't noticed any balance issues, but I will say that the leader cards definitely make the game more open. The players will each use varying strategies, compared to when not using the leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.