BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Ways to identify the owner of a card in play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matheus cohen
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hi,

As the title says. in the game i'm working on you will have a hand of 10 cards that come and go from your hand, and they are played on the board similar to smash up, where you play it around different areas.

My problem is:
- the areas aren't square or large enough to have a side to each player.
- i don't want to separate my game in factions/colors, i want anyone to be able to use all cards.

What people have proposed to me so far:
- having color markers, and whenever you play a cadd, place your color marker on it.

- adding 10 colored-sleeves per player. This could work, and easily changed to another sleeve if you have more but you would lose the 'card feeling' non-sleevers love.

Any other ideas?

Sorry if i was unclear, still working on my english.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
With a relatively small number of players (up to about six), you could put an arrow on the bottom of each card - when a player plays a card, they align the arrow to where they're sitting.

Though this probably wouldn't work if you have a lot of text on the cards that all players will need to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The color markers would probably be the easiest solution.

Only other thing I can think of is if you made the cards dry-erase friendly (like Talon) you could have people either mark it with their color dry erase marker or write an initial or something, which you could then erase off the card. But this would likely change the cards to more like tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rastislav Bodi
Slovakia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how many players does the game support?
do you need to tap/kneel/exhaust/... the cards?

you could just rotate the card so that it faces its owner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matheus cohen
Brazil
flag msg tools
leizeQ wrote:
how many players does the game support?
do you need to tap/kneel/exhaust/... the cards?

you could just rotate the card so that it faces its owner

4 players, not exactly tap...however in 1 interaction of the game, all cards are constantly rotating as a clock.

In another one they are placed in many small cardboard circle (where the cardboard is over half the card). Once placed, it won't move, but it won't be possible to have more than 1 card in your direction. I could place some limitations as 1 card p/player or something like that, and your idea would be valid, but i wish i could do something else.

I'll most likely go with the markers but i want to hear more opnions first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

What if each edge of the cards was a different color? Rotation could indicate ownership, all pointing in the same direction. Could be pretty rough if there's rules written on the cards.

One of my issues with Smash Up and that vampire game is that the varied orientation of the cards means you're reading the rules in four different directions all the time. My eyesight is getting to the point where that's trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matheus cohen
Brazil
flag msg tools
Sagrilarus wrote:

What if each edge of the cards was a different color? Rotation could indicate ownership, all pointing in the same direction. Could be pretty rough if there's rules written on the cards.

One of my issues with Smash Up and that vampire game is that the varied orientation of the cards means you're reading the rules in four different directions all the time. My eyesight is getting to the point where that's trouble.

the rules would not be much, like 'place 1 unit ' or 'must be destroyed first' or any keyword, so would not be really a problem to eyesight...or i hope so.

the thing is, in both interactions:
the first 1, all cards constantly shifting in a board like this

and constantly rotate every single one of them to yourself would be a pain, and probably not a good sight

The second, cards would be like this
, with a bunch of those 'disks' around the table. and with cards from a single or multiple players. So if you have a disk, where only you have cards there(and let's say you have those 3), there is no way for you to point ALL the cards towards you, and you can't move the disk close to you.
well, for that i could maybe try to get bigger disks or just allowing to move the disks towards you...*playtest time*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tecocohen wrote:
My problem is:

If making the areas bigger would solve the problem, why can't you do that? Are you reusing components from another game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matheus cohen
Brazil
flag msg tools
jbrecken wrote:
tecocohen wrote:
My problem is:

If making the areas bigger would solve the problem, why can't you do that? Are you reusing components from another game?

for prototype i'm using cardboard disks that i cut myself, it's just more trouble

that said, making them bigger would increase the play area, which may turn into another problem...

A disk of this size can barely keep 4 cards, if i wanted it to hold 16 cards(4/player) or even just cap it at 8 would be a disk at least 2 times bigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How about using something akin to colored paper clips? Easier to add/remove than sleeves, less likely to get displaced than a token or marker.

Down the road, if the game goes into production, get something like the health sliders in Zombicide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Second the paper clips. I picked up a set just for general prototyping use and they work really well for this kind of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.