Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone that's already played the game speak to the possibility of playing with more than 4 players/investigators?

Assume everyone playing owns their own core set(s).

Also, am I right in thinking that it's easy for players/investigators to drop in/out of the campaign at any point if necessary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, players can drop in and out of a campaign.

You could technically play with more than 4 players, but I'm worried about two things.

Firstly the amount of down time per player is gonna be substantial as you wait for the other investigators to spend their actions. The investigation round does go pretty quickly, but I think that in a 4+ player game it might start to become appreciable.

Secondly I don't know if the balance starts to breakdown if you have more than 4 players. They do scale the difficulty of the game via the "per investigator" mechanic. Also you can change up the contents of the chaos bag. Though there are some things that don't scale like the rate of Doom token accrual, number of locations and the number of actions taken per round for example. I wonder if it might become too easy with that many investigators helping each other out and I doubt they play tested it at numbers outside the range printed on the box.

I've only played with 3 players max so far. At 3 players the game still played well as it did with 1 or 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The mechanics will support it but as noted, there is more downtime between turns. Without trying it I can't say how balance would be affected. I'm going to say though that if you're entertaining the idea of playing with that many people you're probably in it more for the story anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.