Cry Havoc» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is HQ always safe? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GT Games
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I read Grant says HQ are safe from attack. Are they safe from events and cards, and skills? For instance we drew the event that says remove one Unit from a region where you have 4 or more. I had 4 in my HQ, MY son had 11 in his. We were not sure if HQ was included in losing a unit.
Along those same lines if a region is effected in a positive way by an event etc are they effected by that or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know you still have to remove a unit from HQ. While it is safe from attacks, it is not save from the effect of an event. I'm sure Grant will be here soon to confirm or counter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gtgames wrote:
I read Grant says HQ are safe from attack. Are they safe from events and cards, and skills? For instance we drew the event that says remove one Unit from a region where you have 4 or more. I had 4 in my HQ, MY son had 11 in his. We were not sure if HQ was included in losing a unit.
Along those same lines if a region is effected in a positive way by an event etc are they effected by that or not?

HQ is not "safe" from that event.

HQ is "safe" from direct enemy attacks (becoming a battle region), and structures like Orbital Sniper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can read the official response from Grant here.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23733359#23733359

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Safe from Enemy. Not safe from Event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GT Games
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kohler
msg tools
Not safe from Event means also you can put a crystal there. Oh wait, that´s an exception.
In my oppinion, the HQ should be "safe" of everything. No Crystals, no removal of any Units and so on.

That´s my houserule for that game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PGCole wrote:
Not safe from Event means also you can put a crystal there. Oh wait, that´s an exception.
In my oppinion, the HQ should be "safe" of everything. No Crystals, no removal of any Units and so on.

That´s my houserule for that game

House rule it as you wish if it makes you happier. Your game, your choice.

But, you cannot place Crystals there officially, just so everyone is clear.

The game has many deterministic elements. There is not a lot of randomness in the game. The Events, Trog tokens, and Discovery tokens exist to add unexpected elements in the game. If you start off with 1 fewer Unit in HQ, it changes the game, which forces you to make new decisions.

The reason you're safe from opponents is b/c the Machines could then plop an Orbital Sniper and murder you for days. It wouldn't be fun.

The reason the build exception is there is b/c then you could have structures without taking risk. That's also why you cannot place Crystals there.

The rules are pretty straightforward:
Opponents cannot move in
You cannot build or place cyrstals
You cannot die from an opponent
You can kill yourself (Trog Skills)
Events must be adhered to

There's reasoning behind our madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McKinney
msg tools
mb
When the lose a unit event comes up and hits an HQ I always imagine that an earthquake is shaking the planet and Peter from accounting happened to be under a high shelf where a nostalgic snow globe fell...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.