10 Posts

Fury of Dracula (third edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Encounters discarded rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
giovanni ciampi
msg tools
mb
Hi there! Is in the rules any mention about what to precisely do when a encounter is to be discarded (i could not find it)? If the discarded encounter was hidden (say, a Misdirected hideout), is to be revealed? And there is a discard pile or the encounter get shuffled back into the encounter deck?

Since now, i have kept a revealed encounter discard, even for the encounters that were discarded while being still hidden. And it makes sense to not immediatly shuffle encounters back in the deck. That means that Dracula will at max have 5 fighting vampires, 3 artistocratic ones ect. ect. during the span of a typical game during which the encounters deck is not depleted and reshuffled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarchiapon wrote:
Hi there! Is in the rules any mention about what to precisely do when a encounter is to be discarded (i could not find it)? If the discarded encounter was hidden (say, a Misdirected hideout), is to be revealed? And there is a discard pile or the encounter get shuffled back into the encounter deck?

Since now, i have kept a revealed encounter discard, even for the encounters that were discarded while being still hidden. And it makes sense to not immediatly shuffle encounters back in the deck. That means that Dracula will at max have 5 fighting vampires, 3 artistocratic ones ect. ect. during a span of a typical game during which the encounters deck is not depleted and reshuffled.

It would be nice if there was a specific statement somewhere, but I note reference guide page 10 under lairs

Quote:
When Dracula clears a lair, he places all encounter cards from
that lair in the encounter card discard pile.

So there is a discard pile.

Also page 7 under encounters

Quote:
Encounter cards remain facedown until they are either revealed
or discarded.

So when discarded all encounters are turned face up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giovanni ciampi
msg tools
mb

Missed those lines, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Event deck also has a discard pile, but it has it's own rules [Event Cards RR-8]:

†† The event card discard pile can contain both faceup and facedown cards as Dracula event cards discarded from the top of the event deck are facedown.

†† Event cards that are played or removed from a player’s hand are discarded faceup.

†† Event cards that are removed from the top of the event deck during a supply action are discarded facedown.

It is left as an exercise for the reader to infer the significance of facedown cards in this discard pile. Probably neither side can look at them (but perhaps the information is only hidden from the Hunters?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:

It is left as an exercise for the reader to infer the significance of facedown cards in this discard pile. Probably neither side can look at them (but perhaps the information is only hidden from the Hunters?).

It seems clear that neither side can look at them, see the section on hidden info RG page 9

Quote:
All players can search through any discard pile at any time. However, facedown event cards in the event discard pile cannot be turned faceup and must remain hidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
randiv wrote:

I think the relevance is that neither Dracula nor the Hunters get to know what card was discarded. It's for the cards which hunters discard during Daytime supply actions. They take the top card and if it's a Dracula card they discard it face down. It remains face down so neither side knows which card it was.

Not sure I personally will ever know the event deck well enough for this to matter, but I guess there are a few key cards which are more noteworthy and it might be nice to know if they are still possible players for Dracula.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giovanni ciampi
msg tools
mb
Orion3T wrote:
randiv wrote:

I think the relevance is that neither Dracula nor the Hunters get to know what card was discarded. It's for the cards which hunters discard during Daytime supply actions. They take the top card and if it's a Dracula card they discard it face down. It remains face down so neither side knows which card it was.

Not sure I personally will ever know the event deck well enough for this to matter, but I guess there are a few key cards which are more noteworthy and it might be nice to know if they are still possible players for Dracula.

Well, to discard Dracula events from the top of the deck is already a disadvantage for the Hunters (they get no event for that action), so it's would be senseless to give Dracula the information about what event of his is possibly gone forever. It would just as unfair, then, to let the Hunters know what events Dracula may get with an eventually matured Hoax.
So to keep the card secrets to both sides is the right thing to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sarchiapon wrote:
Well, to discard Dracula events from the top of the deck is already a disadvantage for the Hunters (they get no event for that action), so it's would be senseless to give Dracula the information about what event of his is possibly gone forever. It would just as unfair, then, to let the Hunters know what events Dracula may get with an eventually matured Hoax.
So to keep the card secrets to both sides is the right thing to do.

I agree! I was purely pointing out that is the reason it refers to having face down, since posts above seemed to have forgotten about that feature.

I was also just adding that for me personally it probably wouldn't make any difference if they are face up or not, since I don't know the deck well enough to know the effects of discarding one card or another.

Completely as an aside, it's not entirely to the hunter's disadvantage to have Dracula cards on top and discard them. A card on the top cannot be on the bottom, so if they are being discarded from the top then it's less likely they will be on the bottom of the deck because the deck is becoming depleted of Dracula events. Would it be better if it's all Hunter cards on top so they can keep drawing them? Sure, but there's a silver lining of sorts in discarding Dracula cards from the top. It's thin... but it's there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giovanni ciampi
msg tools
mb

Well, problem is, while in the second edition depleting the events deck was normal and probably advantageous for the hunters, now that the game is on a clock it may be nigh to impossible to do it. So if the hunters are in dire need of some good event and there is a red card on top of the deck, they may want to gamble on the bottom of the deck to save time...and the movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sarchiapon wrote:

Well, problem is, while in the second edition depleting the events deck was normal and probably advantageous for the hunters, now that the game is on a clock it may be nigh to impossible to do it. So if the hunters are in dire need of some good event and there is a red card on top of the deck, they may want to gamble on the bottom of the deck to save time...and the movement.

If they are that desperate, they can do both. Sure, the top card right now is a Dracula card but it doesn't harm them, and 2/3 of the time will reveal a hunter card underneath for the next hunter to draw. If you just leave it there and refuse to discard it then you're effectively eliminating the daytime supply action as an option.

Of course if they actually want to move then that's different, and they should do so during the day then supply at night. But if they really are just digging for a card then they should arguably do so during the day as well as night, despite the fact they can see the top card isn't going to be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.