Deep Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does this scale with player count? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the title says: Does anyone know if and how this scales with player count?
Very important to know in that regard would be also: is this solo playable with one or two characters?

I vaguely remember I saw something about player scaling in the comments but can't find it anymore.

Maybe some of you know more about this. Thank you very much in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bennett
United Kingdom
Par
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For soloing it's recommended 4 investigators are used. 2 players I'm sure was 2 or 3 each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it scales somewhat, BUT you have to have a certain amount of player characters because of the turn oder mechanism....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The player scaling works this way:

You always have 6 slots for characters and monsters.
They activate in alternate order, so it's investigator 1, monster 1, investigator 2, monster 2, and so on.

You play with 4 to 6 characters, depending on how much players you are.

1 player - 4 investigators
2 players - 3 each
3 players - 2 each
4-6 players - 1 each

Now here comes the important part:

There are always 6 monster groups, but not always 6 investigators.
Every empty investigator slot is filled with a empty card, that makes the corresponding monster group skip its turn.

Because the player order changes every round, but the monster order stays the same, every turn a different monster group will be skipped.

In short, if you have fewer investigators, the monsters also will have fewer activations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the detailed answer, Michael!

But shouldn't it be possible then to play a two player game where both players are just controlling 2 characters each?

Unfortunately this way of scaling does not really appeal to me. Even though the activation system sounds interesting. But always having to play four chars in a solo play or two in a three player game is a big downside imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Big Cheeze
Australia
Maylands
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There should be no reason not to increase the empty investigator slot to four or reduce the starting number of monsters down to four so that two investigators can be played but without adjusting the spawning rule somewhat I would assume that the two investigators will be overwhelmed as the game progresses. Maybe only move the devour track every second turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korric Morgan
United States
Holyoke
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Leonce wrote:
Unfortunately this way of scaling does not really appeal to me. Even though the activation system sounds interesting. But always having to play four chars in a solo play or two in a three player game is a big downside imho.

Agreed. Having to play with 4 characters is not my idea of solo play; it's playing a multiplayer game alone. This appears to be a game designed for multiplayers only, but like any cooperative game, one player can play as several players.

I would prefer true solo play in which one can play with only 1 character. Playing with 2 is acceptable, but more than that is just adapting a multiplayer game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't agree.
A true solo game is a game that has been thought to be played alone.
It's not about the characters count.

The games that I hate are the ones where there is a dummy player which emulates another player.

Here it's different IMHO.
A dungeon Crawl with one character only will be dull because, "realistically", you would only meet half a dozen ennemies during your session.
Beyond that you are over powered and below that, you get bored.
It might be fun but it's not epic.
You feel alone on the board.

Multiple characters allow you to live an epic adventure and to create synergies. 4 characters are a sweat spot in order to emulate something "big".

Playing solo doesn't necessarily mean that you ARE one character.
It can also mean that you LEAD several characters.
Thinking that a solo game is a game that has to involve one and only character is a mistake.
You can prefer games that just do that but it doesn't mean that it should be like that.

For me, it is as if I'm the team manager speaking through their headphones and tell them what to do.
As such, I have an eye on the whole facility (through cameras or whatever).

If not, something bugs me: how the hell can I know as a character that monsters are spawning on the other side of the board?

For me a solo game is not about the number of characters you play but well about the fact that playing alone is satisfactory, not too fiddly and and that the solo experience is taken into account when writing the rules and testing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex A
United States
Wickliffe
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm with baylock -- I enjoy the idea of leading a squad. Also, as a single parent with little kids, it's really hard for me to get out and play with friends (most of my friends have kids of their own with similar bedtimes, so it's difficult to get them over here). Being able to play with multiple characters is a huge win for me. I can't count how many Zombicide games I've played this way...however, Zcide gets old after a bit. I'm hoping DM and MD will spice it up a bit!

I can definitely see where you would want an immersive, "single-player = single character" experience. I feel that maybe an app would be better suited to that. Something akin to MoM2 (put those pitchforks and torches away!). Are there any games that specifically come to mind for a solo immersive experience? Because I'm intrigued by that idea but my board game knowledge is limited.

As for knowing monsters are spawning across the board, I'm taking the following approach: It's an underwater facility with tech. I'm going to assume they provided access to the video feed to the station in general -- make sure anyone anywhere knows what is going on.

(As an aside...does anyone here remember the "Evil Overlord List" of villain tropes that spell certain defeat for the villain? Someone should make a list like that for horror stories.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KM, baylock, I agree in parts with both of you.

In my personal opinion the problem with the scaling is, that it leaves the player/s near to no choice how many characters they want to play. I don't mind a game which can be played solo by controlling a whole squad, I even play Gears of War with four characters (but on very rare occasions) and usually play the Lord of the Rings LCG two-handed solo.

But I would like to have the option to choose because in my experience when playing with multiple characters (especially three or more) games become much more fiddly and take much more time played solo this way. Often I am just not in the mood to play a game where I have to control, plan the moves for and keep track of more than two characters.

Also on a sidenote in this game playing the option to play only with one character could have lead to a very thematic and immersive science-fiction survival experience. The only survivor against the evil unknown, a little bit like in the Alien movie. There is in fact already a Ripley-like character, (unfortunately) this "Ripley" will just never have to fight alone .

Furthermore in my opinion it is a big downside to not even been able to play just one character each when playing with three players. The whole scaling system seems inflexible. This should be no topic for a regular gaming group of at least four but unfortunately for me it is one.

Still...the amount of miniatures promised is so tempting that I may end up backing this even with all my doubts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I totally understand you.

Yes, a single character crawling through the facility just like in the alien movie would be interesting.
I'm just not sure it would be meaty enough as the only solo option for the whole game.

The cool thing would be to have this option too (Solo mode/single and Solo mode/squad) or to have at least one cool and replayable scenario/setup involving a single character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.