Craig Southworth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I’ve played a handful of random 3 and 4 hero games of Descent with an Overlord and with the app. We are just about to start a full campaign with myself as the overlord and two other players, which brings me to my question. Should we play with just 2 heroes and the balancing tweak of the free extra attack? Or should I ask one of the players to play 2 heroes so we can just have a 3 hero game with the game balance as originally designed?

I’ve heard without the free attack the balance is stacked too much in favour of Overlord but with free attach is stacked too much in favour of heroes. There doesn’t seem to be a happy medium short of asking for a 3rd hero to be put in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The free attack isn't balanced, depending on the encounter it could slide toward either group.

Getting a 3rd hero in would probably be best. You could have the two players take turns controlling the 3rd hero, or some other form of joint decisions for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ruescher
United States
West Milford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Could try alternating the free attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chance Anderson
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Just have both of you play two. Its the most balanced version of the game, and it would be fair to the both of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
commuter zombie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that if the hero players pick strong characters and classes (Elder Mok + Bard or Logan Lashley + Treasure hunter) then as the OL you're in for a rough time if they get the hero attack.

Equally I think that if they pick a sub-optimal hero/class mix and you opt for a good OL deck and Lieutenant + plot deck then they'll need the free attacks to compete.

If you don't mind longer games, having 3 or 4 heroes total may be easier to balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.