Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb

What possessed to remake the cover for the wargame "Guilford" is beyond me. I Something appealed to me about it, so I thought I would give it a shot. Here is what I came up with.

I used many different elements to achieve the aged effect. The main one being the piece of parchment that has these cool seal emblems across the front. I am not sure what they are, but I do know that they are from around 1781 in America, so they fit I kept all of the original text and used many of the same elements to convey the information, such as the scroll bearing the name of the "Bonus Game." I would like to find a better image for the American flag as the one I found is rather flat. The Union Jack is a nice waving image that I may have to replicate by hand to get the same effect for the American flag. I don't think I am going to bother with redoing the pieces and map as of yet unless I get really motivated. This project was more of a test than anything to set up my render scene and play with some different techniques.

Here is a full file view

Comments and suggestions are welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heap Senhouse
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow that is beautiful!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comments:
Simply put, I much prefer your version to the shipping version (no offense to the other designers; it's just a preference). This is my primary point and this far outweighs any subjective nitpicks that I am about to mention, because that's really all they are.

Suggestions:
The title script is very nice, but if it were me, I would reduce the kerning between the G and U, unless the U would intrude on the descender of the G. Possibly the space between the L and F, could be reduced, as well. Oh, check the spacing in "Mark", in the upper tagline, too.

For readability, you may even want to reduce the length of the R in the title, so that it reads less like an N, but if there are concerns with compromising the integrity of the typeface, I would understand.

You may want to consider reducing the typeface size, on the scroll, in order to make room for a rendering of the lower paper cylinder in proper perspective, on the front of the scroll, instead of the back. If you did do this, you might have to lighten up the shadows on the cylinder too, since it might turn into a big chunk of black that would cause an imbalance with the other elements on the page. A side benefit, might be that it could also add some nice texture.

As for the background map, I can't tell if the contrast was reduced so much that the detail was lost or that a section was chosen that had less detail, but personally, I would like to see a bit more map detail.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the GMT logo doesn't have a 100% white in it, but a very light grey instead? I don't have a GMT product in front of me, but I thought their logo was white on red. Like I said, I could be wrong on either count.

There is a big section of negative space, underneath the guns, and while I think negative space is very important, I think it seems a little out of place, due to the fact that the rest of the design is so densely packed. Perhaps opening up some space elsewhere, by removing a couple seals or something, would balance it out a bit better?

I agree with your assessment of the American flag, because the waving British flag looks champion and it adds necessary movement to the image.

My suggestion on your color choices would be, don't change them one bit. They are perfectly warm and rustic. Very pleasing to the eye.

Should the left-hand quotes possibly be curved the opposite way as the right-hand quotes?

Again, these are just minor quibbles, and I think you did a fantastic job. Keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls