Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casper Jansen
Denmark
Kastrup
Amager
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just want to share a house rule we have in our group for the annoying impairment tokens:

- When we get an impairment token on a certain skill, we do not substract it from that skill. We just "keep" it until we might get an improvement token for the same skill and then cancel the impairment token with the improvement token and both tokens is returned to the box. Then the skill stay unchanged for now. On this way we think that the impairment tokens are still in play and makes a difference, but they don't feel so devastating. Does it make sense?

We made it up because we all find them to be way too unbalanced and often we might as well kill off the investigator (espacially when certain mythos Cards are drawn) and start over with a new. So this is why we made it up. Please share any other house rules you might have with these unbalanced bastards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boian Spasov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
We are the knights who say...
badge
Ni!
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion impairment tokens just feel punishing, they are actually one of the least punishing detrimental effects that you can get. For some skill tests they don't matter (e.g. a Lore-1 test is always 1 die both with attribute Lore 1 and Lore 2) and for the rest, a single focus token kept offsets their potential negative effect, not to mention it can be used on other skills as well.

Conversely, improving skills is often overrated, especially as every additional die contributes less to your chances for success on tests.

But yeah losing your stats FEELS punishing, and this is what ultimately matters to the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Curse you, sir! I had talked myself out of getting any new expansions because those impairment tokens sounded like such a lame and punishing mechanic. And then you go ahead and post this house rule which is... perfect for my group.

My financial blood is on your hands. I say good day to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most times people put house rules in the 'Variants' section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Eldritch Horror: General to Eldritch Horror: Under the Pyramids: Variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Jansen
Denmark
Kastrup
Amager
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
burningecho wrote:
Curse you, sir! I had talked myself out of getting any new expansions because those impairment tokens sounded like such a lame and punishing mechanic. And then you go ahead and post this house rule which is... perfect for my group.

My financial blood is on your hands. I say good day to you.

Glad to be at your service
I then hope you will find as many hours of fun with Under the Pyramids as we do ... now after applying this House rule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Moved from Eldritch Horror: General to Eldritch Horror: Under the Pyramids: Variants.

Right where I never would have found it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Jansen
Denmark
Kastrup
Amager
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
burningecho wrote:
monkeyhandz wrote:

Right where I never would have found it!

Ammen, bro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.