Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main items of interest for me in this deal are Dominion: Intrigue (Second Edition) for $19.99 and Subdivision for $14.99.

But I have to be honest with myself. I love Dominion, but it hasn't seen the table in over a year. We are in the golden age of board gaming and whenever I have to make a choice, I'm always gravitating to some other game for whatever reason. I own no Dominion expansions and this seems like the perfect launching off point, but I'm still a bit gun shy.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/2663
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoingTopShelf wrote:
The main items of interest for me in this deal are Dominion: Intrigue (Second Edition) for $19.99 and Subdivision for $14.99.

But I have to be honest with myself. I love Dominion, but it hasn't seen the table in over a year. We are in the golden age of board gaming and whenever I have to make a choice, I'm always gravitating to some other game for whatever reason. I own no Dominion expansions and this seems like the perfect launching off point, but I'm still a bit gun shy.

Dominion was a great game and great innovator. But very quickly I did the same, turned to other deck-builders and I enjoy those more than Dominion every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
a veteran's day sale would've been a great opportunity for csi to discount a variety of war games. they carry a fairly decent selection of war game publishers and a focused sale might've been enough to nudge a number of cats into pulling the trigger on large orders to hit free shipping.

<--- i can neither confirm nor deny that i might be one of those cats =-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Piquette
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like an awfully random assortment (at least of the board games). Nothing I need (thankfully).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Sallen
United States
Boone
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themaster408 wrote:
GoingTopShelf wrote:

Dominion was a great game and great innovator. But very quickly I did the same, turned to other deck-builders and I enjoy those more than Dominion every time.

To this day, no game succeeds at being as intuitive and yet as nuanced a deckbuilder as Dominion. It takes minutes to teach so I can use it as a gateway, and yet I still continue to play game after game of it both in person and online. If you haven't played it, you simply should. All of the expansions have helped it age like a fine wine, and the new second editions bring up the card offerings of the base game and Intrigue up to the quality of later expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
josefsallen wrote:
themaster408 wrote:
GoingTopShelf wrote:

To this day, no game succeeds at being as intuitive and yet as nuanced a deckbuilder as Dominion. It takes minutes to teach so I can use it as a gateway, and yet I still continue to play game after game of it both in person and online. If you haven't played it, you simply should. All of the expansions have helped it age like a fine wine, and the new second editions bring up the card offerings of the base game and Intrigue up to the quality of later expansions.

So what you are saying is that I should spend the $20. But it's not just $20. I'd have to also spend $10 more to get the Dominion base set upgrade pack. I'll talk to my game group to see if they are up for playing more Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, with just the base set plus one expansion Dominion will get old fairly quick. I own all expansions and with completely randomizing the setup this game has excellent staying power - we return to it periodically and likely will continue to do so. However I can't say that I recommend that others buy all the expansions as I did, because that is a good chunk of $ and as mentioned there are a lot of great game options available now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some deck building games might outtheme Dominion, but they will very, very rarely outgame Dominion. This is a staple that I will never get rid of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I now own 9 different deck building games (I guess its one of my favorite mechanics?), but Dominion is still my all time favorite. I have many for different flavors and moods, but nothing beats Dominion for pure deckbuilding and replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GoingTopShelf wrote:
So what you are saying is that I should spend the $20. But it's not just $20. I'd have to also spend $10 more to get the Dominion base set upgrade pack. I'll talk to my game group to see if they are up for playing more Dominion.

They're offering the 2nd edition, which includes the cards in the upgrade pack! (The upgrade pack upgrades 1st edition to 2nd edition.) So you're only paying $20. thumbsup

"Dominion: Intrigue (Second Edition) replaces six Kingdom card types from the first edition with six new types of Kingdom cards, while also replacing the blank cards in that item with a seventh new Kingdom card."

I'm gonna miss the ol' Secret Chamber (Hidden Chamber? Whatever.) but nobody else does!

Check the reviews and see if this expansion is right for your group, though. The different Dominion expansions have different "flavors" and some are better fits for different group playstyles than others. Click on the image and check out the original. If you think your group will say, "Bwuh??" when reading the card, go for a less complex expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Kenny Dorham || Trompeta Toccata || Whistle Stop || Una Mas
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nunyabisnas wrote:
a veteran's day sale would've been a great opportunity for csi to discount a variety of war games. they carry a fairly decent selection of war game publishers and a focused sale might've been enough to nudge a number of cats into pulling the trigger on large orders to hit free shipping.

<--- i can neither confirm nor deny that i might be one of those cats =-)

The current Daily Deal is Conflict of Heroes: Guadalcanal – The Pacific 1942 at $39.99. That would give a nice leg up on meeting the shipping limit for an early Veteran's Day order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
GoingTopShelf wrote:

They're offering the 2nd edition, which includes the cards in the upgrade pack! (The upgrade pack upgrades 1st edition to 2nd edition.) So you're only paying $20. thumbsup

"Dominion: Intrigue (Second Edition) replaces six Kingdom card types from the first edition with six new types of Kingdom cards, while also replacing the blank cards in that item with a seventh new Kingdom card."

I think he means $20 for Intrigue 2E plus $10 to upgrade his base Dominion set to 2E. But I don't think you *have* to upgrade Dominion to play it with Intrigue 2E. They didn't change the card backs or anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGreatHamEl wrote:
Some deck building games might outtheme Dominion, but they will very, very rarely outgame Dominion. This is a staple that I will never get rid of.

I like dominion but I can't understand why Rio Grande didn't release a 2nd edition as a large box to hold all the cards from different expansions. I guess I don't like the game enough to spend over $100 for a storage solution or to spend my time to craft one myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
Sam and Max wrote:
GoingTopShelf wrote:

I think he means $20 for Intrigue 2E plus $10 to upgrade his base Dominion set to 2E. But I don't think you *have* to upgrade Dominion to play it with Intrigue 2E. They didn't change the card backs or anything.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. If I get this, I'll feel compelled to upgrade my base set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankNBeans13 wrote:
TheGreatHamEl wrote:

I like dominion but I can't understand why Rio Grande didn't release a 2nd edition as a large box to hold all the cards from different expansions. I guess I don't like the game enough to spend over $100 for a storage solution or to spend my time to craft one myself.

https://www.amazon.com/BCW-Super-Monster-Storage-5000/dp/B00...

$15 on Amazon with FSSS. Or get one from a FLGS/FL Hobby Store for <$10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Winnowski
United States
Upper St Clair
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Trains better than Dominion, I wish there were more expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.