$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
$30.00
Red Dragon
msg tools
Played my first scenario: A Short Sharp War.
Learned a lot including the necessity to utilize play aids like the BTC_Player_Aid since it is very hard to find some of these things in the rules (especially generic defense ratings like that against torpedo attacks) as well as the turn/sequence aid as & the General Quarters cycle aid.

Despite the fact that only the Japanese have a sub in the scenario a few questions came up.

1. Are subs automatically illuminated at normal ranges?! If so this seems wrong to me especially for a sub that has not fired let alone transited any hexes (Like the Soryu that sat in the Diaoyutai hex, which, as a littoral, is a sub hunter's nightmare.

2. Subs are generally agreed to be the best ASW platform.

I really hope subs can attack each other with Torpedos(T); since none seem to have a "U" capability that would leave "T" as their only way to attack other subs.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmb
it is very hard to find some of these things in the rules (especially generic defense ratings like that against torpedo attacks)

That's on the strike chart in the middle of the rule book.

Are subs automatically illuminated at normal ranges?! If so this seems wrong to me especially for a sub that has not fired let alone transited any hexes (Like the Soryu that sat in the Diaoyutai hex, which, as a littoral, is a sub hunter's nightmare.

Yes, subs are illuminated like any other unit. BUT, their excellent stealth scores make it easy for them to evade. For example, the best ship has a stealth of 3 where as the worst submarine has a 4. Good diesels have a score of 7, so they can evade on a roll of 5 or more at point blank range.

I really hope subs can attack each other with Torpedos(T)

Yes. That too should be listed on the strike chart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.