Subject: Which co-op games for 6.5 year old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C.A.
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Looking for a co-op game to play with my son. He is a new reader. Math is fine, but we don't want to get inundated with card or reference text.

Castle Panic seems to be an option. Forbidden island? What else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also heard good things about Forbidden Desert. Beware, they went a whole different direction with Forbidden Stars so it probably isn't what you are looking for...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Frick

Iowa
msg tools
I recommend descent. The game is relatively easy and a lot of the mechanics are self explanatory. With app support you two can play it well with out one of you having to attack the other. App takes a little getting used to but after the learning curve it can add a lot to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Game Devourer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good option for us was:
Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters

It's been re-themed as the Ghostbusters Protect the Barrier Game, so you can pick it up for $20.

My 7 year old son really wanted a game where he could move around the board and fight stuff and it seems to scratch that itch for him.

The game doesn't really have much (if any) text on the cards. There is some route optimization. Just a light and fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones I had the most success with my daughter who is about that age have been Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert and Flash Point: Fire Rescue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Forbidden Desert - the assembling of the aircraft is so much fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I would recommend Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, or Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a 6.5 year old, I would recommend Forbidden Island over Forbidden Desert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo what was said already to drive the point home:

Forbidden Island - An excellent choice, and very easy to teach/learn

Forbidden Desert - Has some added mechanics, I'd play some other games for awhile first until your child is more of a seasoned gamer

Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters - Probably the best roll and move childrens game I've ever played. Easy to learn, fun to play. Advanced mode, while just as easy to play, is difficult to beat, which I consider a major plus.

Castle Panic - This one is a great game. Your son might need you to explain some things while playing, but that's the beauty of a coop. I'd avoid expansions for awhile as they add majorly to complexity of the game.

My daughter (7) also just got into mice and mystics. It's a lot of fun to play a campaign with a story line. We're on the 4th chapter and she keeps wanting to find out what happens next. The abilities of the individual characters need to be explained, but other than that it's pretty simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
all these are too complex for 10 year olds we're playing with. (yeah, no gamer dads, normal kids).

Hoot Owl Hoot! is the one we use. It is solvable (there's still luck of the draw), but that's why it works as kids have a feeling they could save it one their own. (that is 10 year olds have that feeling, 7 year olds don't).

Forbidden Island is another game we use, but always with adult supervision. Grabs kids with theme and pieces, but there's quite some rules overhead.

Depends if the idea is to play it with him or he'll play it with friends. If latter, then look for something simpler - we use Hoot Owl Hoot, but there are quite some co-ops on this years Kinderspiel des Jahres list. Leo seems interesting (memory aspect). Then there's Escape: The Curse of the Temple - a bit costly, but simpler than Forbidden Island and managed to grab kids even more so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also a +1 for Forbidden Island. I play it with our friend's 6 year old and he loves it. He always asks to play when he comes over. His favorite part is collecting treasures, and he gets really excited towards the end when we have to get back to the landing pad to catch the helicopter (mostly because the bulk of the island is underwater at this point and it's a race to get to the end).

Most cards are pictures, and although the locations have text the pictures are the same so it's easy for smaller kids to flip over the location tiles by matching pictures (the 6 year old finds them faster this way than I do by reading them). The only thing really to read is the character card, which I help with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.A.
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.