Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is well accepted that scenario 7 of the basic game (the one with the Soulbiter) is the toughest.
Also, indeed you played the introduction quest and difficulty will be higher afterward. That being said, some people report the heroes roll over everything without the expensions while other experience that the overlord can still win on a regular basis even without them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jullie
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is kindo of off topic, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. An important tactic for me, when I am the OL, is to stock pile spawns. I generally don't do any spawing until the heroes clear the first room. Then I start to spawn behind them. However, I don't charge out with simply one set of spawned creatures. I almost always wait until I have two spawns-worth of monsters before I try to engage someone. Generally, with this tactic, I'm able to get enough attacks on one of the weaker heroes to kill them off in one round (from full health).

Also, the OL needs to take a look at the quest and see which parts of the map might require the Heroes to double back. This is important because I smart group of heroes will be able to minimise your spawning ahead of them.

For instance, my group played Quest 2 the other night. We have a very experienced group and they were making stunning progress through the quest (which had been beefed up with WoD rules). It looked hopeless for me as the OL. However, they made a crucial mistake of leaving the Giant they had to kill off by himself (the quest requires them to find his heart first before you kill them).

Instead of trying to prevent the heroes from getting the heart (by way of spawning monsters in their way), I left my giant in his little room and spawed constantly around him. I was able to spawn enough "worthless monsters" (kobolds and skeletons) to form an LOS sheild for my beastmen and ferrox hiding in the room. The end result was that the magic user was unable to make any progress at range (due to the LOS being blocked by pitiful creatures) and any melee heroes that got too close would be torn to shreds by the ferrox and beastmen (one tank ran up there with 5 armor and 16 health-he was killed before I used up all the attacks I had in the room).

My point is, that the way the OL plays has the largest impact on the game. If I would have spawned monsters in front of the heroes, they just would have continued to get picked off and the heroes would have had a cakewalk. As the OL you have to understand that your largest advantage over the heroes is your strength in numbers.

As far as what quest to play, I would suggest 7 or 8. However, the skill level of the OL will greatly determine whether or not the heroes win. Personally, I have never lost as the OL so our experiences with the game seem to differ greatly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep the soulbiter one is really tough. My players have yet to crack it we've played about 6 times. Completely agree with Jason, the overlord needs to play very well, certainly they need to play a tactically flawless game (which isn't that hard) or close to it and be smart with strategy too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
the first scenario is just a learning scenario. The overlord isn't supposed to win that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Appleton
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the second quest pretty tough (although we did only have 2 heroes for that one). Also "Spoiled Brat" if you make the wrong choices as to where to go first.

Although of course, I imagine both of these would be a lot easier on a second play through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric Billette
Canada
Aylmer
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played quests 1-7 of the basic game, and the heroes have yet to win either 5 (4 defeats so far, with 3 and 4 heroes), and 7 (2 defeats, with 4 heroes).

I have yet to try 8 and 9, but just by looking at them, they do look a lot easier than the aforementioned quests. The problem I see with 5 and 7 is the relative lack of treasures and/or glyphs for the heroes, in addition to other problems for them (ease of spawning, killer endgame in Quest 5, life-draining Soulbiter in Quest 7).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls