Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Evolution: Climate» Forums » Rules

Subject: some doubst regarding traits combinations (nocturnal in particular) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- nocturnal: how does it work exactly? we couldn't quite figure out this trait in particular regarding an intelligent nocturnal carnivore vs a nocturnal non carnivore and how it really affects the feeding phase.
In particular is a nocturnal non carnivore "not protected" if there is an intelligent carnivore?

- Hibernation and burrowing: hibernation prevents you population loss due to starving... if i have body size 1 and population 2 why would i be protected against carnivores since burrowing allows only to be protected once you are fully fed?

- pack hunting vs defensive herding: it is my understanding that defensive herding is the natural counter to pack hunting in the fact that a 6 pack hunting carnivore can never attack a 6 population with defensive herding (unless with intelligence of course) is that correct?

- migratory: if i'm full i can't activate this ability because it is not like fat tissue whic "stores" food for next turn am i right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Poal
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nocturnal:
For nocturnal to work their has to be no carnivore which can eat the species. An intelligent carnivore is considered to be able to eat a species if the body size is larger and has enough cards to bypass defensive traits.

"To determine if Nocturnal is in effect, a Carnivore with Intelligence is considered able
to eat the Nocturnal species only if the Carnivore’s owner has enough cards in hand to
get past all of the Nocturnal species' defensive traits
. Carnivores that are fully fed are
unable to attack any species."

Hiberantion and burrowing:
Because 2 population are ignored for determination of hunger.

"Up to 2 Population may be ignored when determining if this species is Hungry.
Those Population don't need to be fed during Phase 5 (Feeding) and they won't be lost due to Hunger at the End of Feeding. A species with Burrowing and Hibernation is protected when all but 2 of their Population is fed."

Pack hunting vs defensive herding:
Correct (and thematic)

Migratory:
Correct

"After all species have finished feeding for the round, this species takes 2 food from the Food Bank if the Watering Hole is empty (unless it does not have enough Population to take both Food)."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth pointing out that if a non carnivore creature has the nocturnal trait but no defensive traits at all (such as climbing or defensive herding) then a carnivore does not need intelligence to attack it and therefore the effect doesn't trigger.

Likewise if the carnivore has the traits required to bypass the nocturnal creatures defenses (such as both the nocturnal creature and the carnivore both having climbing) then the intelligence trait is also not required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Iglesias
Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stevenschurink wrote:

Those Population don't need to be fed during Phase 5 (Feeding) and they won't be lost due to Hunger at the End of Feeding. A species with Burrowing and Hibernation is protected when all but 2 of their Population is fed."

Can this species keep on feeding?
Because of hibernation they are no more hungry, but its a "may be ignored", so ¿can you opt to not ignore them to feed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the answers! then a carnivore without intelligence can attack a nocturnal species without having the nocturnal trait right? the important thing for a non carnivore with nocturnal is to be protected by ANY attacks in order to trigger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevenschurink wrote:

How? Burrowing says "This species cannot be attacked if it has received food equal to it Population." It doesn't say anything about being hungry.

Never mind, I have an old printing of the base deck. I see the new printing has changed the wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Hibernation is only in CLIMATE, and CLIMATE comes with 7 new copies of Burrowing... we were able to modify the wording on the Climate version of Burrowing to make the interaction more thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cru Jones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if there is more than one nocturnal species in play and the intelligent carnivore does not have enough cards in hand to attack all of them but it can can attack at least one of them, will it matter which nocturnal species it can attack? Or are they all nocturnal for that round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
crujones33 wrote:
What if there is more than one nocturnal species in play and the intelligent carnivore does not have enough cards in hand to attack all of them but it can can attack at least one of them, will it matter which nocturnal species it can attack? Or are they all nocturnal for that round?

As long as the carnivore can attack (any or all of) them, the nocturnal creatures don't get the bonus feeding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
crujones33 wrote:

As long as the carnivore can attack (any or all of) them, the nocturnal creatures don't get the bonus feeding.

This. Remember, Intelligence allows a Carnivore to negate a Trait for that turn. Not a trait on a single target, but ALL instances of that Trait during the Carnivore's feeding turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
crujones33 wrote:

David and Byron are correct. You check each Nocturnal species separately at the beginning of your feeding turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Sploot
msg tools
mb
If a herbivore species has horns and nocturnal, while a carnivore only has 1 population... does this mean that nocturnal will go off, since if a carnivore chooses to attach the herbivore, it would die off, and the attack would not go through?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the attack still has to happen if the Carnivore is still hungry and that Nocturnal-Horned guy is the only target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
No, the attack still has to happen if the Carnivore is still hungry and that Nocturnal-Horned guy is the only target.
Even if it's not the only target, it is a valid target, and Nocturnal doesn't trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.