Subject: Is the balance a bit off at 3 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Triston Attridge
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mb
We just played through the mission where you open the big box for the first time, and the balance seemed a bit off.

As we were playing with 3 players, the only scaling rule that we know is that the first player gets an additional command card after the first round.

This didn't seems much of a benefit compared to the extra opportunity of being able to have a whole separate command track run out, especially in terms of trying to setup others players for attacks.

Anyone else feel the same? Or did we forgot some rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The extra card is huge. All of the mechs build up faster, and are inevitable much stronger. From comments in various threads, it seems that the consensus is that 2p is easiest and 4p is the most difficult (although still not very difficult). I've played 2p and 3p, and all of the games have been relatively easy...still great fun though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feet_of_Clay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've played the entire campaign mostly at 2P, but have played quite a few 3p and 4p, at varying ages and "gamers" and "non-gamers."

We have actually found that the game is harder at 4p that 2p. The double draft is huge for a number of reasons, but basically comes down to increased flexibility.
Even with the extra mech and command line, think how many turns you shoot your lightning/ fire into nothing because you can't get enough cards quick enough to get into position. Combine this with how much slower your lines build-up compared with 2p and in the case of mission 3 where the boss is acting as a variable timer, you can - at 4p- find yourself on the brink of destruction before you can walk straight and turn and fire.

3p is a happy medium between the two every few turns you get that awesome double draft, you just have to make full use of it!

I guess the answer to your question depends on how hard you think the missions should be. At 2p we completed every mission 1st time (with the exception of mission 2) and it felt a bit easy.

At 4p we have a much more 60%-40% hit rate. (but that normally includes at least 1 new player each time)

So in summary: I doubt you missed anything, your argument is probably the wrong way around: it should be: "Does a double draft only every 3rd turn make it too hard?" I feel the answer is no. Mission 3 is eminently beatable at all player counts: I've done it. (including at 3p with my 10yo nephew and 8yo niece ;-p ) but I agree it's one of the more challenging missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Morales
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have to agree with this. I played halfway through the campaign with just my 2 kids and we had an easy time with all but 2 missions that where close. But we restarted with 4 players when my nephew joined us and it has been much harder for the reasons stated. It takes much longer to build up your command cards...the key cards being triple stack turn cards.

The other issue we see is that it takes much longer to get schematics activated since we are not killing minions as fast. Again this is due to damage cards not being stacked as fast. We sort of compensate for this by spreading out our turn/move cards but this has the added downside of damage cards hurting you even more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Totality wrote:
We just played through the mission where you open the big box for the first time, and the balance seemed a bit off.

We had the same issue. The mission you are referring to does not live and die much on killing off minions, which is where lower player counts shine because of the quicker upgrades. I believe that mission benefits from a higher player count so that you can split up who is damaging and who is running rune squares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melric wrote:
Totality wrote:

We had the same issue. The mission you are referring to does not live and die much on killing off minions, which is where lower player counts shine because of the quicker upgrades. I believe that mission benefits from a higher player count so that you can split up who is damaging and who is running rune squares.

Maybe....but it's still not that hard with 2p. We had two very mobile Mechs with 2-3 great attacks each. We were able to coordinate our attacks pretty effectively....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.