Subject: Less Publicising rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

We're thinking about trying a variant which eliminates 'Publicise' as a routine step, whilst retaining it as one of the 6 optional actions.

Everybody publicising every turn just feels a bit overdone, so nobody puts much thought into it and we seem to end up with all categories being pretty much maxed out anyway.

Limiting 'Publicising' to one of the optional actions, might add a bit more interest to this mechanic.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! Just wanted to chime in and say if you're seeing a lot of categories maxed out, please don't forget that the publicize action can be used to move a marker down one space as well. So, it can be just as useful to hinder a category that you can't compete in as it is to raise something you will place in, depending on where the markers are.

Just wanted to make sure that rule wasn't missed. Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

We're thinking about trying a variant which eliminates 'Publicise' as a routine step, whilst retaining it as one of the 6 optional actions.

Everybody publicising every turn just feels a bit overdone, so nobody puts much thought into it and we seem to end up with all categories being pretty much maxed out anyway.

Limiting 'Publicising' to one of the optional actions, might add a bit more interest to this mechanic.

Any thoughts?
Just to make sure; You are reducing each category by 2/1 steps after each scoring phase and know that you can reduce the value of a category when publicizing, right?
I don't really have anything else to say to the proposal since the situation you describe is not something I have seen in games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
scottbalmes wrote:
Hello! Just wanted to chime in and say if you're seeing a lot of categories maxed out, please don't forget that the publicize action can be used to move a marker down one space as well. So, it can be just as useful to hinder a category that you can't compete it as it is to benefit yourself.

Thank you Scott. Yes we are aware of the +/- movement. It's just that our tendency is to +ve our own strengths, rather than -ve our weaknesses.

Maybe it's just us, but we feel that if publicising became a matter of precious choice rather than routine, it would create more agonising decision making?

Edit 1 @Niko:
Yes we are reducing the categories by 2/1 after Rounds 1&2.
About not encountering this issue, have you used the Paleontologist who adjusts the categories by 2 steps?

Edit 2:
It's not the maxing out of categories that's our issue, it's just that the amount of adjusting categories feels unnecessarily high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
scottbalmes wrote:
Hello! Just wanted to chime in and say if you're seeing a lot of categories maxed out, please don't forget that the publicize action can be used to move a marker down one space as well. So, it can be just as useful to hinder a category that you can't compete it as it is to benefit yourself.

Thank you Scott. Yes we are aware of the +/- movement. It's just that our tendency is to +ve our own strengths, rather than -ve our weaknesses.

Maybe it's just us, but we feel that if publicising became a matter of precious choice rather than routine, it would create more agonising decision making?

Edit 1 @Niko:
Yes we are reducing the categories by 2/1 after Rounds 1&2.
About not encountering this issue, have you used the Paleontologist who adjusts the categories by 2 steps?

Edit 2:
It's not the maxing out of categories that's our issue, it's just that the amount of adjusting categories feels unnecessarily high.
No, that ability hasn't come up yet.

My group tends to have quite a bit of "take that", so if one is last in a category it makes more sense to us to reduce it since it sets back all other players rather than helping yourself and some other players.

I'd say give the variant a shot and see how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Pieper
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I understand the criticism of the publicising mechanism but I don't think your fix will work very well. I would worry that the markers would be permanently stuck at the lowest level by players who don't wish to spend one of their only three actions to gain a meager 1-2 possible points in later scoring. You have to remember that, at best, players who publicise are guarnateed to be giving points to two of their opponents. And at worst, their opponents might actually benefit *more* from the publicise action! I just think savvy players would never publicise, and would elect instead to gain guaranteed points by donating bones or taking bonus cards.

I agree with the other posts that the categories shouldn't be maxed out, as players should be hindering scoring categories to sandbag 1st place.

As an alternate variant, I would suggest disallowing players from moving the publish markers at all, and instead just fixing them at levels 4, 5, and 6 for the three rounds of the game. This would address your frustration with moving the markers too much, and I think the game would still function as a whole, with players competing over the six categories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think moving publicity down should force you to draw a notoriety token to get rid of the seesaw battles or maybe only be able to lower a category one space per round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.