The Walking Dead: No Sanctuary» Forums » General

Subject: Why only 6 scenarios with the core box? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yann
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here comes my existential question: Why including only 6 scenarios with the core box?

I went through several walk-through videos, and I find this game quite interesting in terms of mechanic, and combination of card games plus physical movement on a map, interesting to the point of considering joining through late pledge.

My only concern is why is the base game coming with so few scenarios (6 to my understanding)...

There seems to be more diversity through characters (as per the number of characters coming in core box, stretch goals and expansions)than actual number of playable scenarios.

Although I understand that trying the same scenarios with different characters could be interesting, it will always be less exciting/ interesting than trying some new scenarios.

I don t really understand why, because scenarios seem to be quite cheap to produce in term of physical material required to play (in most of the case just one scenario sheet, maybe a couple of tokens) and only truly requires ideas.

And ideas shall come a plenty through the almost 100 episodes of the franchise.

I understand that the terrain tiles are more for aesthetic purpose than for game mechanic, although they can help with the diversity. Maybe some cardboard tokens could be necessary to represent some games objectives. But all seems much less expensive to produce than new plastic figurines.

Still, why so few scenarios? Is it that the designers intend to come up with more scenarios before game release? Or the intent is to milk the franchise till the last drop by selling expansion pack with 4 scenarios.

Content seems to be focused on amount of plastics instead of amount of good ideas (which seem to have become a general issue with all reward based kickstarter campain).

If you compare with other games that are scenarios based games, like let s say Heroes of Normandie which offer plenty of scenarios in core box, although most of them can be replayed plenty of time, plus an huge fan built scenarios database, 6 scenarios to play seems to be quite below standard and from a potential buyer perspective not so much good value for money.

Did I get anything wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dekan Wheeler
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
youtch wrote:
Here comes my existential question: Why including only 6 scenarios with the core box?

I went through several walk-through videos, and I find this game quite interesting in terms of mechanic, and combination of card games plus physical movement on a map, interesting to the point of considering joining through late pledge.

My only concern is why is the base game coming with so few scenarios (6 to my understanding)...

There seems to be more diversity through characters (as per the number of characters coming in core box, stretch goals and expansions)than actual number of playable scenarios.

Although I understand that trying the same scenarios with different characters could be interesting, it will always be less exciting/ interesting than trying some new scenarios.

I don t really understand why, because scenarios seem to be quite cheap to produce in term of physical material required to play (in most of the case just one scenario sheet, maybe a couple of tokens) and only truly requires ideas.

And ideas shall come a plenty through the almost 100 episodes of the franchise.

I understand that the terrain tiles are more for aesthetic purpose than for game mechanic, although they can help with the diversity. Maybe some cardboard tokens could be necessary to represent some games objectives. But all seems much less expensive to produce than new plastic figurines.

Still, why so few scenarios? Is it that the designers intend to come up with more scenarios before game release? Or the intent is to milk the franchise till the last drop by selling expansion pack with 4 scenarios.

Content seems to be focused on amount of plastics instead of amount of good ideas (which seem to have become a general issue with all reward based kickstarter campain).

If you compare with other games that are scenarios based games, like let s say Heroes of Normandie which offer plenty of scenarios in core box, although most of them can be replayed plenty of time, plus an huge fan built scenarios database, 6 scenarios to play seems to be quite below standard and from a potential buyer perspective not so much good value for money.

Did I get anything wrong?

Thanks for the questions! The biggest reason there are only 6 scenarios in the base game is that the base game is limited to season 1 and the events contained there. There are only 6 episodes to pull from in the first season if you recall so the rational plan was to pull one scenario from each episode

Secondly, even though a scenario seems easy to create. Each one has to be tested for countless hours for balance. Each scenario in essence becomes a mini expansion, slightly tweaking a rule here or there.

Third, The No Sanctuary level Kickstarter backers also get the first two expansions which bring us into season 2 and 3 in addition to multiple unlocked and Add-On scenarios. bringing the scenario count well into the double digits.

As each scenario takes around an hour to play and as the later ones are very difficult so you may need to play them multiple times to win we felt that quality of quantity (with the fact that we did get some major quantity) was a better way to put this game together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for your quick answer.

So season 2 will mean 13 scenarios, and season 3, 16 scenarios, right? I have to try to push harder...

I fully understand the amount of work that needs to be put together to produce a balanced scenario, and it was not my intention to undervalue this part of the work. Do you need beta testers for more scenarios?

On the average how many times does it require to beat a scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt there will be 13 scenarios in box 2 etc. Though I think you know that.

some games just provide a few scenarios and then tell you to make up your own

It feels like they are cobbled together with no real though on balance or playability (Guardians Chronilces I'm looking at you)

So I appreciate the fact they are providing developed and tested scenarios....even if that means there are fewer of them.

Anyway some of the episodes are so slow, would you really want to play a scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
However it would be good to know the titles of the scenarios and which episodes they are based on. Something to get the excitement going during the long wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dekan Wheeler
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
PlanBee wrote:
However it would be good to know the titles of the scenarios and which episodes they are based on. Something to get the excitement going during the long wait!

We actually previewed all that back during the campaign in updates 5 and 6:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/the-walking-dead-no...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/the-walking-dead-no...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It is still not released so why take it for a fact that there will only be 6 Scenarios in the Base game?
For all we know the developers may make another bonus scenario (or 2) that will come with it.
The thing is: The game is not yet released. For all we know they may even include an item (surprise) or two within the Base game that we don´t even know of yet. And which we won´t know about until we actually opens the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.