8 Posts

Bloc by Bloc: The Insurrection Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Beginner Game Strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MyBGG Name
msg tools
mbmbmb
After losing our first 3 games on beginner mode (fully co-op, 3 players), I went looking for a strategy guide but couldn't find one. We won game #4, and while I don't know that qualifies me to offer advice, I figured I could at least begin the thread. So here are some things we learned:

Slow Roll It
Even when you roll a '2' on the Reaction Die and the Police Ops card drawn does nothing (e.g. "Maneuvers" rarely has an effect in the early game), it advances the Police Ops deck, getting you closer to Heavy Reinforcements or something else you really don't want. To that end:

Loot Responsibly
A single loot card's generally not worth the risk of rolling the reaction die. Every faction has an occupation that makes obtaining loot safe/more profitable. Leave the looting to Neighbors with the Comrade Cafe and Prisoners with the Scavenger Hideout.

Right to Assemble
Getting out a lot of your blocs early is valuable. Build the Assembly Hall and use it: you'll get to that fourth action die faster, and liberating districts becomes realizable.

Enjoy the Clash
Say you have 6 riot cops next to that district you're on track to liberating. You can spend 3 actions building barricades and hope for (less un)lucky Police Ops draws, or you can use a single action and sacrifice one of your blocs to pull them into a clash and keep them from moving.

The Unbearable Lightness of Two Barricades
We have yet to find value in a two-barricade blockade. Until a neighboring district has 5 riot cops amassed, a single barricade is equally effective. And once you've got 5+ riot cops together, you probably want to spend another action and build a triple barricade to keep them all out (or lock them up with a clash).

Make Your Own Game
Still too hard for you? Tweak the rules! You're only cheating yourselves. A couple variations:

Slower-to-Act Cops - Draw only 1 Police Ops card when police morale is "Alert." That is, the Police Morale board reads 1-1-2-2-3 instead of 1-2-2-2-3.
Better Barricades I - A double barricade always blocks at least 2 cops.
Better Barricades II - A double barricade blocks half of the advancing cops, rounded up.

Looking forward to see what other strategy tips folks have to offer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Schwartz
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
We tried the first game, and what we realized quickly in our post-mortem wa s that we tried to liberate *way* too early, and did not attack riot vans quickly enough. I think we were all too peaceful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sschwartzoak wrote:
We tried the first game, and what we realized quickly in our post-mortem wa s that we tried to liberate *way* too early, and did not attack riot vans quickly enough. I think we were all too peaceful.

Same here, before I knew it, I had only taken care of 1 riot van and had just 2 nights to take care of the rest. Needless to say, we were crushed, especially when the riot vans moved via an Ops card and wiped out 12 guys that were going to liberate a State area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolfkin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Enjoy the Clash
Say you have 6 riot cops next to that district you're on track to liberating. You can spend 3 actions building barricades and hope for (less un)lucky Police Ops draws, or you can use a single action and sacrifice one of your blocs to pull them into a clash and keep them from moving.

I like this actually. that's a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Tra
msg tools
Same issue with first game: too much effort on liberating, and not enough on destroying riot vans.
We were unlucky that one wasn't able to be fully destroyed, so it got repaired, and the one we destroyed was brought back by a Police Ops card. We were just 1 night short of success, which is a decent first attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Tra
msg tools
Other learnings from the first game:
- fellow players were suspicious that I had my own agenda, although we were playing in fully cooperative modeshake Guess they know me too well, but the whole point is that this game is a cooperative one!
- I had had a good look at the board and saw my faction's areas were easy to defend with just one road entrance - so look at the city's layout and form a team strategy early
- too much effort on liberating, not enough on busting the riot vans, used molotovs a bit too eagerly at first, not enough looting, not enough use of the special powers of each faction

Really looking forward to the next game. Didn't last as long as we'd feared it would.
Found all answers to my queries on this forum, awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Stone
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Enjoy the Clash

Anyone else feel like this makes things too easy?

Maybe the two games I've played have been too easy, but once we realized this it made it really easy to lock down the cops... seeing as they trend to mass in large numbers on state districts.

I dunno, maybe I need to play once more see if the first two were flukes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nevelow

Missouri
msg tools
mbmb
Burning a bloc to lock down a district is an interesting idea, if you do it early enough in the Sunset cycle. But once Sunrise comes, the riot cops are going to send that bloc back to your faction mat, so the only way to keep the cops locked down is to sacrifice a bloc every day, and do it early enough that everyone benefits. I'm not sure that's so powerful that it throws the gameplay out of balance.

But it's definitely a strategy I'll try next time I play. If you can get enough cops into a single district, it just might be worth sacrificing a bloc every day to keep them locked down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.