$30.00
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, this may turn out to be a very dumb question:

For endgame scoring, the rulebook says (page 6): "Then players total up the VPs on cards in their deck."

What does "deck" in this context mean?
A) ALL a players cards (ie facedown deck + hand + discard)
OR
B) Technically the "deck" is only the facedown cards a player has (from which s/he will draw their hand) - ie EXCLUDING their hand and discard pile.
Option B seems too powerful (albeit tactically interesting) since a player could decide to end the game when others have bigger discard piles (so they wont get the points)

I might be making this more complicated than it is.
But im getting confused with terminology:
- Deck = facedown pile one draws the Hand from
- Hand = cards in your hand (duh!) that are used to play
- "in play" are cards used in your turn from your hand, but not yet discarded
- Discards = cards discarded at end of turn faceup.

My gut feeling is that Deck here simply means all a players cards (option A)

Regards, Sal
Let the mocking begin, i can take it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played it as option A; in this instance the player's deck is all the cards they currently have access to use, whether in hand, discard, played Ongoing, or in the actual 'deck'.
Justification could be that for most games, when it's over, I immediately gather my cards together - thus combining them back into the 'deck'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wise
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You count all the cards you own: Deck, Discard Pile, Hand, Ongoing cards, cards you played when the game ends.

I want to clarify that you do NOT own cards under your Superhero (Atrocitus FAA, Arrow Crossover Pack, Street Fighter, etc).

This is common for many deck-building games, and that is probably why it isn't articulated very well in the rules along with the fact that you can buy/gain cards in between playing cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalman wrote:
For endgame scoring, the rulebook says (page 6): "Then players total up the VPs on cards in their deck."

What does "deck" in this context mean?
A) ALL a players cards (ie facedown deck + hand + discard)

The [original] Base Game rules just say "add up the VP in your deck".

But, starting with the Heroes Unite base set, the rules now clarify a bit more:
"Return all Ongoing cards you have in play, all cards in your hand, and all cards in your discard pile to your deck. Then, players total up the Victory Points on cards in their deck...."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.