Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

A Feast for Odin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Placing tiles vertically on feast phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabio Baldan
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I choose to put one good vertically to save a silver coin on the feast table? Or I'm only allowed to do it when I repeat a type of food?


Also, when I go Raiding/Pillaging can I take more than 1 tile with the same action spliting the dice value?? And when I choose one special tile I have to place then on my boards right away? Or can I keep then to place it later?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
a) You can place tiles on the feast table in whatever orientation you wish.

b) My thoughts are no, you cannot split the die value to take two tiles. I'm not 100% sure on this though.

c) You do not have to place tiles on a board immediately. You can save them and place them whenever you wish.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helena Hovancova
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
userid122002 wrote:


b) My thoughts are no, you cannot split the die value to take two tiles. I'm not 100% sure on this though.




That's it. Raiding, from Rules, p. 17 (and same for Pillaging, p.18):

Success
Every blue goods tile has a
sword value. After you roll the
orange eight-sided die, you can
take exactly one blue goods tile
with a sword value equal to or
lower than you rolled
.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabio Baldan wrote:
Can I choose to put one good vertically to save an silver coin on the feast table? Or I'm only allowed to do it when I repeat a type of food?

Yes
Fabio Baldan wrote:
Also, when I go Raiding/Pillaging can I take more than 1 tile with the same action spliting the dice value??

No, page 18 says "exactly one tile equal to or lower than (the value) you rolled"
Fabio Baldan wrote:
And when I choose one special tile I have to place then on my boards right away? Or can I keep then to place it later?

Yes

EDIT: ninja'd
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Baldan
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot everybody! = )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a profession that will allow you to split raid values. I had it one game and it is awesome.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
There is a profession that will allow you to split raid values. I had it one game and it is awesome.


Wow, I haven't seen that one.

That sounds amazing
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gray
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
userid122002 wrote:
a) You can place tiles on the feast table in whatever orientation you wish.


I'm Just working my way through the rules as I type this but doesn't this contradict the rules on page 10 which state:

One tile of each type may be placed horizontally to take up more space at the table (like salt meat in the example below). All other tiles of that type must be placed vertically (square tiles are exempt from this rule, as it does not matter).

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it more accurate to say you can not place tiles as you wish. Rather one tile of each type is allowed to be horizontal the rest vertical (of that type)? The exception being square ones.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What does "type" mean? Orange vs red? Or beans vs flax?

I looked everywhere and couldn't see it; feasting's easy if type refers to the different foods, but gets trickier if it's meat vs veg.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gray
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I interpret a type as for example "beans" or "flax" being the type. So if you were using two flax only one is permitted to be vertical the other(s) must be horizontal. I don't think it is the colour as there are multiple types in each colour.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabio Baldan wrote:
Also, when I go Raiding/Pillaging can I take more than 1 tile with the same action spliting the dice value??


Normally, you can't, but occupation #136 (Raider) allows you to do this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabio Baldan wrote:
Can I choose to put one good vertically to save a silver coin on the feast table? Or I'm only allowed to do it when I repeat a type of food?

Here is the relevant rule (English version):

Quote:
One tile of each type may be placed horizontally to take up more space at the table (like salt meat in the example below). All other tiles of that type must be placed vertically (square tiles are exempt from this rule, as it does not matter).

A strict reading of this rule leads me to the conclusion that a player is not allowed to place a good vertically at the table if it is the only good of its type.

Perhaps this is not the intention, in which case I'd suggest that the rule be amended as follows (modifications in red):

Quote:
One tile of each type may be placed either vertically or horizontally to take up more space at the table (like salt meat in the example below). All other tiles of that type must be placed vertically (square tiles are exempt from this rule, as it does not matter).

Would it be possible to get an official ruling on this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The word "may" means "has the option to".

Therefore "One tile of each type may be placed horizontally" means "You're allowed to place one horizontally, but are not required to".

I have always played assuming you're allowed to. For that matter, imagine the circumstance where you've emigrated enough that all you have is a single space to feed. You're suggesting you must feed with silver, rather than a vertical peas?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
silvergoose wrote:
The word "may" means "has the option to".

Therefore "One tile of each type may be placed horizontally" means "You're allowed to place one horizontally, but are not required to".

Right, you're not required to. You can use silver coins instead. Or you can use nothing and take thing penalties.

My point is that the word “may” in this context is ambiguous because the intended alternative(s) are not clear, and it is never explicitly stated that the alternative that you suggest is even allowed.

The standard convention followed in board game rules is that if something isn't explicitly allowed, it's forbidden.

Note: I don't actually think that the designer intended not to allow players to place goods vertically at will. What I'm saying is that if the intention is to allow them to, the rules need to be corrected to actually say so. I don't think this is an unreasonable request.

silvergoose wrote:
For that matter, imagine the circumstance where you've emigrated enough that all you have is a single space to feed. You're suggesting you must feed with silver, rather than a vertical peas?

That can't happen, since there are an even number of spaces and emigrations always fill two spaces each.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What? How about on round 6, where there's a viking still left to come out, what if you've filled all the boat spaces with emigrations? There'd be one left.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra McNichols
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Spire wrote:
silvergoose wrote:
The word "may" means "has the option to".

Therefore "One tile of each type may be placed horizontally" means "You're allowed to place one horizontally, but are not required to".

Right, you're not required to. You can use silver coins instead. Or you can use nothing and take thing penalties.

My point is that the word “may” in this context is ambiguous because the intended alternative(s) are not clear, and it is never explicitly stated that the alternative that you suggest is even allowed.

The standard convention followed in board game rules is that if something isn't explicitly allowed, it's forbidden.

Note: I don't actually think that the designer intended not to allow players to place goods vertically at will. What I'm saying is that if the intention is to allow them to, the rules need to be corrected to actually say so. I don't think this is an unreasonable request.

silvergoose wrote:
For that matter, imagine the circumstance where you've emigrated enough that all you have is a single space to feed. You're suggesting you must feed with silver, rather than a vertical peas?

That can't happen, since there are an even number of spaces and emigrations always fill two spaces each.


It absolutely can, since you're removing a single viking from the table each round. So you can result in an odd number of spaces.

I think you're reading too much into the rules here. If you were correct, the rules would instead say something like 'The first tile of each type must be placed horizontally'. Phrasing the rules as 'the first of x may be horizontal; all others must be vertical' seems fairly clear to imply that the first may also be vertical.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
silvergoose wrote:
What? How about on round 6, where there's a viking still left to come out, what if you've filled all the boat spaces with emigrations? There'd be one left.

You're right, of course. I stand corrected.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ecm85 wrote:
I think you're reading too much into the rules here.

And I think you're reading too much into the rules here.

I have always played it the way everyone here has been saying it should be played, but the OP's question made me reread the rules, and I now think that the rules are ambiguous at best and flat-out incorrect at worst, and need to be be clarified.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spire wrote:
silvergoose wrote:
The word "may" means "has the option to".

Therefore "One tile of each type may be placed horizontally" means "You're allowed to place one horizontally, but are not required to".

Right, you're not required to. You can use silver coins instead. Or you can use nothing and take thing penalties.

Nope, the bullet being debated is only talking about the options for how tiles can be placed. The fact that coins can be used instead, or the penalty for placing nothing, are covered separately. That "may" specifically refers to the fact that one tile of each type may be placed horizontally or vertically.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gray
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Then there was the question raised as to what "type" is defined as. Personally I think it is the good type. IMHO it can't possibly be the tile size ergo must be good type.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely the goods type. But does that mean the colour of the tile, or the picture printed on it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gray
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that goods type = picture.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
It's definitely the goods type. But does that mean the colour of the tile, or the picture printed on it?

I thought this question was settled. While it's unfortunate that the rules never explicitly define what the term "type" means, it's very clear from the context that it's the specific good, not the color. So there are 6 types of orange goods, and eight types of red, green, and blue goods.

This is reinforced in the rules in at least two ways. Here, in the section about Thing penalties, they show two different orange goods placed horizontally:


And here, Uwe's disembodied head talks about how most of your feeding needs are provided by the harvests, which wouldn't even be remotely true if you could only place one orange good horizontally per feast:
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Northern Polarity
msg tools
Ack, looks like I've been playing incorrectly this entire time, thanks for the clarification!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.