Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Nietzel
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello all,

Just wanted to pick the collective's brain...

I'm very interested in this game. I understand all the benefits and negatives of a ccg, but overall I see enough fun and potential in the game to make it worth trying out. I've watched game play videos and card previews, and while I don't think this is a guaranteed grand slam, I do think it's got very nice potential.

So, one thing that seems clear is that the starters, while fun and a nice value, are likely going to feel fairly lacking after a bit. The real fun and excitement comes in the boosters, which unlock new characters, new weopons, new options.

So... my question. What are people thinking is a reasonable "toe dipping" entry into the game. I don't need to "have it all," at least to start, so I'm not buying cases of boosters until I get some game time and decide that buying cases or the secondary market is worth it as a function of my desire to play the game. My hope is to treat it sort of as a faux-board game and spend around what I'd expect to pay for such.

so, what do you all think is a good marriage between keeping initial costs down and still having enough packs to feel like you have some choice in building decks.

I've got my own thoughts, but instead of influencing things, I'll post them down the thread.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boulrice
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Myself,I'm going to buy 15 boosters. It should be noted that 1 out of every 6 boosters the rare card and dice is replaced with a legendary dice and card.I should get 1-3 legendary ones-hopefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My intention is to walk away opening day with one of each starter and ten boosters. That puts it roughly in the same price range as a boardgame and should have plenty of deck options up front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that:

- decks are 30 cards
- Characters roughly come 1 in 3 boosters and you'll need 30 points worth for each deck
- Legendaries come 1 in every 6 boosters
- 5 cards per booster

I think one of each starters and 10 boosters is the minimum buy in.

That'd be around £60~, which compared to other FFG games is poor value but heyho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've preordered 2 starters and 6 boosters. I'll continue to buy a handful of boosters at a time as get more and more experienced with the game to keep it fresh and use the secondary market for singles if I want to run an elite version of a character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm spending about what an LCG would cost (3x core 120$) so a box of boosters online plus both starters at local launch events and maybe a few booster there too. Won't give me nearly the options an LCG would, but hoping I have enough to build a dual color deck in all 6 faction combos. This is assuming I enjoy the game play at the launch events and there looks to be a good local meta for it. I don't want another dead LCG, or one where I have no one locally to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nietzel
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great thoughts everybody. I welcome any more as well

My thought was 10-15 packs, which seems to be what most people that have replyed seem to think. I'll probably split that and go 12. I don't have a local shop in my town, so I'm forced to buy online, meaning I can get the starters and the 12 boosters for around $60, which for me is a fair entry point into trying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Green
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I come from a heavy CCG background and don't mind dropping the cash on a lot of boosters, so my start will be both starters + a booster box (36 packs). I may buy from secondary market or trade for cards I am missing - or I may drop on another box depending on how many Rares are in the set and what kind of group develops in the area.

But that's just me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Isaksen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not going to be playing this in tournaments but only with my wife.
If we buy the two starters and one box, will that be enough for us to have 2 30 card decks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went both starters and a box of boosters online, but at the local launch event I'll get the 2nd of each starter and about 10 boosters, if allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sephakay wrote:
If we buy the two starters and one box, will that be enough for us to have 2 30 card decks?

For local games like that, should have plenty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sephakay wrote:

This is my plan for myself, but I do intend to maintain two, maybe three decks so I can play with a few others who don't seem excited to buy into the game but would be open to playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Sugiyama
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Team Covenant announced Saga Sets that allow you to purchase the full Hero/Villain or entire set for a fixed price instead of crashing packs and hoping to get lucky. So I would recommend taking a look.

https://teamcovenant.com/product-category/star-wars-destiny-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burgoyne

Racine
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm trying to figure out how to max out on the 70's and 80's characters. Anyone know if there will be starter sets from Episodes 4-6?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Green
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ajburgoyne05 wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how to max out on the 70's and 80's characters. Anyone know if there will be starter sets from Episodes 4-6?

The only starters right now will be Rey+Finn and Kylo+First Order Stormtrooper - but the packs will have plenty of characters/cards from the original trilogy. If you just bought enough packs you'd have plenty of material for deckbuilding using OT characters. However, you may find yourself a bit hamstrung when deckbuilding if you avoid ALL cards from outside the OT. A lot of strong cards feature images from EU, Prequels, and Ep 7. And you can bet on future content featuring Rogue One (which you may or may not be OK with), Ep 8, more EU, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ajburgoyne05 wrote:

Deck options for OT-only will probably be a bit restrictive (as far as limiting options) at first, but should open up pretty quickly with another set or two.

As a for instance, there's currently no option to do an OT Stormtrooper squad -- the Stormtrooper offered in the debut set is a FO Stormtrooper, with Phasma as their optional commander.

That said, you can still cram in, say, 3 Tusken Raiders to get a non-unique villain OT character foundation going, and there's probably cards to make at least one interesting deck out of such a configuration.

But, with another set or three, you'll get the OT Stormtroopers and Scout Troopers you really want to make your Endless Ranks OT deck.

We do know there will be alternate starter sets with future sets, but we don't know whether every set will have a new starter or not, or how soon we'll see the first new option(s) or what will be in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burgoyne

Racine
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks. I will probably hold out for the second wave of releases. I am also very much looking forward to Rogue One; that could be my entry point to this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently I'm 1x of each starter and 2 booster boxes, might up it to 3 booster boxes if Miniature Market doesn't have anything I want in their black friday sale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I buy the Game so that I have enough stuff for me and my opponent, I preordered both Starters and one Display.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stealth7 wrote:
I went both starters and a box of boosters online, but at the local launch event I'll get the 2nd of each starter and about 10 boosters, if allowed.

Edited. I found out my FLGS has a box for $80, cheaper than my CSI order. I ordered another box, I am so weak...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Paroni
United States
California
flag msg tools
I blew my load on TC's saga collection. I figure I'll have maximum opportunity to experiment and build any deck I want, and if it turns out I don't want to keep playing it, I won't have any trouble moving my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isawa Chuckles
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I'm picking up 1 of each starter, and 2 boxes to start with, since I've played it a bunch on TTS and know I enjoy it.

2 boxes puts you at 216 commons, which is enough to get a full playset of all the commons if you do some minimal 1-for-1 trading with other people finishing out their common playsets (since you should have 2x+ of ~93% of the commons out of the box). It also gives you a 45-55%ish chance of having 2x of any given uncommon or rare, which is a good base to build from.

I might talk myself into a third box before preorder prices go away, since it would help with having extra sets of Common staples for running multiple decks concurrently, as well as pushing the playset chance of uncommons/rares up to 65-75%. But at that point, you're talking $255 in booster boxes, which is just $45 short of buying a saga set and not dealing with the trading and muss. Of course, if you're lucky, you can get everything you *need* out of 1-3 boxes, and then rely on tournament prizes to fill in the rest, if the game's tournament scene takes off.

The nice part of 3 booster boxes is that it puts you at 324 commons, 108 uncommons, and 90 rares, which, if people are doing a lot of "straight-across" trading during the murky early days of the game where card values haven't settled, it should be easy enough to complete your playset of everything sub-legendary with those numbers.

Of course, you could also open like 20 copies of a rare that appears in the starter deck and is completely untradeable, but that's another kettle of fish

If they come up with some good form of draft (likely involving some kind of fixed "generic" character cards so that you can have a legal draft deck. Just like 10 health, 10 cost, generic red guy, generic blue guy, generic yellow guy, and you could could replace them with characters if you opened them),it would be nice. Could probably do it with 5 packs, 20 card decks, would put it at ~$15 like a Magic Draft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.