Subject: Still confused on reinforcement... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Walters
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I've played through about 5 games total so far, and all of us are still confused on the reinforcement mechanic. So here's an example situation:

A skeleton unit with 4 models is wiped out, so their tile is turned over to the bloody side in the Book of Skelos. I pay to activate the reinforcement (crow) tile, and pay one point to flip over the skeleton unit tile.

Is this process correct? If so, do I then need to pay an additional reinforcement point per model to bring it back into play, or does turning over the card bring all the models into play?

I looked over the separate thread on re-spawning from another user, and it didn't clarify things at all for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonfl1 wrote:
A skeleton unit with 4 models is wiped out, so their tile is turned over to the bloody side in the Book of Skelos. I pay to activate the reinforcement (crow) tile, and pay one point to flip over the skeleton unit tile.

Why are you paying a point to flip it over (i ask because someone mentioned this in another thread half an hour ago, and i'm curious how this evil rumor got started)? There is no mention of that 1-gem cost in the rules. As soon as any minis from a facedown tile come back into play, the tile flips back over. No extra cost.

jonfl1 wrote:
Is this process correct? If so, do I then need to pay an additional reinforcement point per model to bring it back into play, or does turning over the card bring all the models into play?

You get X reinforcement points. You can spent up to that amount to resurrect any destroyed units and place them in any of the scenario-designated Reinforcement spaces (with the flame icon). If those units just happen to come from a facedown tile, you flip that tile back up (but incur no other cost: see OL book, page 5).

Note that not all OL units have a reinforcement cost (e.g. the Snake has none). Units without a reinforcement cost cannot be resurrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonfl1 wrote:
So I've played through about 5 games total so far, and all of us are still confused on the reinforcement mechanic. So here's an example situation:

I looked over the separate thread on re-spawning from another user, and it didn't clarify things at all for me.

When a unit is wiped out, you turn the tile over the bloody side and put it to the right of the river.

When you want (need) to reinforce, you pay the cost in gems of the event tile giving you a number of reinforcement point decided by the scenario (example 4 points in " In the Clutches of the Picts").

Then you spend these points to "buy" your troops. In your example, skeletons from the wiped out tile. I think skeletons cost 1 point, so you can buy your 4 skeletons.

You place 'em on the reinforcement entrances decided by the scenario and flip the tile on it's "active side".

Edit : Oups !!! Stephan did it again ! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rockatansky Ash
msg tools
1)Pay and activate the Event Tile.

2)It gives you a certain number of points (scenario description)

3)Use those points to buy already dead units (their cost is on their tile.)

4)If the units you want to buy are on the bloody side then turn the tile.

5)Put the units on the board on the right spot (little flame icon.)

That's all.

Remember that when an entire tile is dead turn it over AND move it to the last place on the river.

Edit : Too late. Two times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Williams
msg tools
I have an additional question. Are those reinforcement points basically a one time use? For instance in the first scenario the OverLord has 4 reinforcement points, if I spend those to bring back say 4 pict hunters on turn 3, am I out of reinforcement points for the rest of the game, or is it a max of 4 points each time I choose to reinforce?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooper1977 wrote:
I have an additional question. Are those reinforcement points basically a one time use? For instance in the first scenario the OverLord has 4 reinforcement points, if I spend those to bring back say 4 pict hunters on turn 3, am I out of reinforcement points for the rest of the game, or is it a max of 4 points each time I choose to reinforce?

Each time you activate the event tile, you can reinforce. The scenario always tells you how to use the event tile (example with "In The Clutches of the Picts" : you can only reinforce).
Some scenarios give you different options when you activate the event tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallantides wrote:
When a unit is wiped out, you turn the tile over the bloody side and put it to the right of the river.

For others reading along: this rule about moving a newly-killed tile to the right of the River is the last sentence of the "Life Points" section on page 4 of the OL book. i've overlooked it this whole time, and just left facedown tiles where they died.

Pallantides wrote:
Edit : Oups !!! Stephan did it again ! whistle

One of the minor advantages to being on medical leave is that i can just sit here and keep tapping Reload .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Staten
msg tools
ok so example.

green pict tile has 4 green based units

all green picts are killed, tiles is moved to far right and flipped over on the river

i use event tile and get 4 reinforcement points

am i spending 1 point per green based pict or 1 point brings back the original 4 units?

also if i only use 2 reinforcement points do i get to keep 2 or they expire at end of turn?

thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mugwy44 wrote:
i use event tile and get 4 reinforcement points

am i spending 1 point per green based pict or 1 point brings back the original 4 units?

1 point per model.

mugwy44 wrote:
also if i only use 2 reinforcement points do i get to keep 2 or they expire at end of turn?

Unfortunately, this rule is kind of hidden in one of the examples on page 7 of the v2 OL book:

Quote:
The event tile is moved to the end of the River, as usual, then the Overlord gains 4 reinforcement points. They choose to return the three hunters, for 1 point each (their respective reinforcement cost), returning them to play by placing them in the reinforcement areas of
their choice. Having no more models to reinforce, the last reinforcement point is lost.

(Emphasis added.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Hatt
France
Brest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also remember that when you spend your reinforcement points, you do not haveto spend them all for a single unit type. If you have several different types of dead units you can spend the points to reinforce a few units from each tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(●‿●✿)
msg tools
So for example, in Hunting the Tigress, you could only do one of the three options? We've been playing you could do all three on one turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ark_au wrote:
So for example, in Hunting the Tigress, you could only do one of the three options? We've been playing you could do all three on one turn

It unfortunately isn't explicit, but you choose one of the options each time the Event is activated. If you used all three, you could no longer use the Event tile after Zappy was killed (because the OL loses if Skuthus and Zappy are both dead).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.