Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clayton Capra
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game last night. It was wonderful and I had a great time. Here is how it ended and a question because we are not sure who won officially.

During the summer-autumn 1814 turn the American player held one card. It was the Battle of New Orleans card. Later the American player had one card left to play in their hand and it was the Treaty of Ghent. When Ghent is played you have to subtract a number of VPs equal to the number of cards remaining in your hand.

Question – Does the held card count as being in their hand and the American player subtracts 1 in this situation?

Quote from Gilbert “Battle of New Orleans is a special card with a lot of conditions for its use. The main idea is that it can only be 'the last card' played of the game literally. There cannot be any cards for that year that were not played.”

So there cannot be any cards for that year that were not played. Is that per player or any cards for both players? In the situation above when the American player played the Treaty of Ghent card the British player had one card left in their hand. Does that mean The Battle of New Orleans card could not be played?

I was the British player and we ended up ruling that the card held does count as being in your hand so we subtracted 1 point from the American Score. We ended up ruling that The Battle of New Orleans could be played even though the British player had one card in hand. The end result was the Americans had one more point than the British and won a moral victory. I’m curious what the official ruling would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this answers your question, but here is what I think is true.

The Treaty of Ghent ends the game when played. The cards left in the hand of the person playing this card count against the VP total for the card. Either player may subsequently play the Battle of New Orleans at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Mark has it right. Playing Ghent ends the game immediately and the only card that can be played after that is Battle of New Orleans. And, the only player that will play that card for the event is the American player.

Yes, technically he has to subtract one, because after all, the Battle of New Orleans IS a card. However, since it scores VP's it often will give the US player a 'moral' victory, which is exactly what happened.

I'm from Canada, so of course we know that the US did not 'win' the War of 1812, but I thought that rule was a nice concession to American pride.

Glad you enjoyed the game. I'm working on a game on the 'American Revolution' at present and it will be a distinctly British view of the war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you give us a sneak peak on the American Revolution game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Capra
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to your game on the American Revolution. I'll order it as soon as it's announced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
When I think the time is right I will try to open up a folder here on the Geek with some 'play test' artwork.

For now. It will be a CDG game covering from 1775 to 1782. The map area will include St. Augustine, Florida and the Caribbean to the south. The island of Nassau will also be depicted. In the north, Quebec City of course and Halifax to the east. There will be a "Europe" box and some limited naval movement too.

Fleets will be included. The card events will be very important in this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the teaser

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.