Hide
5 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Why I love "Dodge and weave" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Schoonakker
msg tools
Whoaoh... what a card. I like this AA the most of the expansion and it's probably my favorite card which I almost never leave in the offer. I've been out of my way going for a Monastery though rough terrain for this card.
When I saw the card at first, I thought "meh", but that changed 1 game where I used the stronger effect to block a shadow, storm dragon and delphana masters in the same game with this card alone. Its all you need for a block card in the whole game. Better yet, as for the Storm dragon, it counts as blocked when reduced to 0 attack. This prevents the elusive trait in the attack phase.

-It is always block 4, usually block 8 (if the enemy attack has element(s))
-It applies before the "swift" trait, effectively doubling the blocking as well
-It still makes sure the enemy doesnt get his elusive armor, in contrast to the "enemy does not attack" types.
-It takes a white mana token/crystal. I find that there is little competition for other good white AA or spells. You can almost always find a few whites per game.
-It gives you 2 attack for free if you did not ake any wounds to hand, which should be doable since it takes little blocking, if any.
-When unable to fully block, you still take a lot less damage. This works great vs enemies with brutal and really takes the sting out. Edit; of you have any resistant units, they will be able to absorb the few points of attack left.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1540686/mage-knight-board-ga...

Just look at all the enemy tokes out there. Look at the attack values. Subtract 4. Laugh.

Edits for grammar (lots of them, not native english speaker and typing on phone)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When unable to fully block, you still take a lot less damage. This works great vs enemies with brutal and really takes the sting out. Edit; of you have any resistant units, they will be able to absorb the few points of attack left.

If you do not fully block, you take ALL the enemy's damage right?. But as with all AAs, in the right situation this card is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdrog2 wrote:
Quote:
When unable to fully block, you still take a lot less damage. This works great vs enemies with brutal and really takes the sting out. Edit; of you have any resistant units, they will be able to absorb the few points of attack left.

If you do not fully block, you take ALL the enemy's damage right?.

Yup! The OP seems to be making a mistake here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
mdrog2 wrote:
Quote:

If you do not fully block, you take ALL the enemy's damage right?.

Yup! The OP seems to be making a mistake here!
No. The OP is talking about taking less damage through reducing the enemy attack. Blocking is something else entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schoonakker
msg tools
Yeah I indeed mention it as a block, where it actually "reduces one attack by 2/4".

Ergo in case of a 6 fire attack (with brutal), you lower it to 2 fire attack. If you cant block the remaining, you still only take (2x2 (brutal)) 4 damage instead of 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.