United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
There is a war on for your mind...
badge
www.DrudgeReport.com
mbmbmbmbmb
New rule announced by WizKids with the goal of eliminating a first turn advantage--

New Rule: The player who goes first in a game of Dice Masters, on their first turn, only draws 3 dice from their bag during their Clear and Draw Step, and places 1 die from their bag out of play.

http://wizkids.com/2016/11/07/dice-masters-new-rule-announce...

This rule update will not be included in the instructions for the upcoming sets, but it will be in effect for organized play starting next week.
Thoughts?

How will this change your team builds? Would you still prefer to go first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
confusing. Why would this not be in the future rulebooks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I've noticed any significant enough first player advantage (don't play tourneys). Sucks not being able to grab two 4-costs with opening splits (bye-bye Silver Sable + Weapon X unblockable early combo), or only a 2-cost if holding back a mask for PXG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gladiator Posse
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
www.DrudgeReport.com
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:
confusing. Why would this not be in the future rulebooks?

Apparently they have sent final proofs for the printing of the next few sets. It will first appear in the rules for the Superman/Wonderwoman set.

From Wizkids:
"This new rule supersedes existing rulebooks. Due to the rapid pace we work at, the Marvel Dice Masters: Iron Man and War Machine Starter Set and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Dice Masters: Heroes in a Half Shell Box Set do not include this update to the rules. Our upcoming DC Comics Dice Masters: Superman and Wonder Woman Starter Set will include the new rule for going first as part of its text."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Not sure I've noticed any significant enough first player advantage (don't play tourneys).

If you did, you DEFINITELY would. The statistics WizKids cited were around 76% of all tourney games they tested being won by the first player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We only play Draft games, so it's pretty much who picks the better team (plus rolls decent enough) wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
We only play Draft games, so it's pretty much who picks the better team (plus rolls decent enough) wins.

THIS. I should sig this in other Dice Masters forums! Every time someone argues that "play more draft" is the answer to competitive play becoming broken and ridiculous (Bard deck FTW, nothing else can compete), I can just say "read my sig, plz."

Nonetheless, this move is too little too late for me; I'm already set to jump ship to Star Wars: Destiny. Fantasy Flight has a much better track record than WizKids when it comes to game balancing and delivering fantastic organized play experiences and support for their products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gladiator Posse
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
www.DrudgeReport.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Bard teams killed my last 2 OP events. Love the game and love the Marvel/DC/TMNT sets, but OP is just not enjoyable anymore...probably doesn't help that it's a DnD card ruining the scene. DnD has zero appeal to me and my son.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:

THIS. I should sig this in other Dice Masters forums! Every time someone argues that "play more draft" is the answer to competitive play becoming broken and ridiculous (Bard deck FTW, nothing else can compete), I can just say "read my sig, plz."

Nonetheless, this move is too little too late for me; I'm already set to jump ship to Star Wars: Destiny. Fantasy Flight has a much better track record than WizKids when it comes to game balancing and delivering fantastic organized play experiences and support for their products.

Well I just won the largest WKO so far without using Bard or VS, so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gladiator Posse
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
www.DrudgeReport.com
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:

I'm getting a bit off topic, but would it be safe to say you built your deck specifically with Bard in mind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gladiator_posse wrote:
pk2317 wrote:

I'm getting a bit off topic, but would it be safe to say you built your deck specifically with Bard in mind?

I was actually expecting more VS than Bard, and the team to beat definitely was VS (two people brought it, both were undefeated except for against my team). There were a few Bard teams, but the ones I faced were the slower control style rather than the Bard Buzzsaw or Blitz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morton
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
pk2317 wrote:

Can confirm, was at event. Hell, I placed 6th at that WKO and didn't have bard, VS, or ring on my team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
The rule change brings this question to mind. Is it for every game of dice masters? Or just unlimited WKO events? In a rainbow draft is the first person to draw and use four dice or just draw three dice and place one die from bag out of play? What about other formats? Thanks for the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is official as of November 11th for all games (constructed and draft). For events already scheduled prior to that time, the group should come to a consensus on whether to use the new rule or not. For everything afterward, it is the new rule. It will show up in the official Rulebook beginning with the Wonder Woman/Superman Starter Set in May 2017 (TMNT2 and Iron Man/War Machine Starter Set Rulebooks are already printed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.