Subject: New Rules in Development rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Team

I'm working on an updated game and rule set now. If there are things about the rules which you do not like feel free to sound off so that I can consider for incorporation into the new rules.

I'll share a draft soon. The biggest change is that naval units can now move as many as four hexes in one "move" but with a chance for the other side to intervene and "stop" the move.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you plan on doing a rule-set update only (living-rules in PDF format), or are you planning on republishing the game with a second-edition of the rules, counters, etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or doing a 1980's GIUK / Red Storm Rising version????

<fingers crossed>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmb
New rules for a new game derived from BtC. It focuses more closely on the South China Sea at 45 nmi per hex vice the current 70 nmi. So there's a new map. Game mechanics and counters are very similar, but the turns have been simplified and some rules clarified to expedite play. A new twist, naval units can move multiple hexes (rather than one at a time) but can possibly be halted by the other side. I also added political turns - played with cards - that will appear in some scenarios. So far much of this has been driven by input from the war college.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Hadjikyriakou
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is great news. I thought the weakest part of an otherwise excellent game was how the whole land aspect was handled: big stacks of units in large areas of the map not doing much. Hopefully this will be all abstracted with the new "zoomed in" game.

I'm throwing money at my screen.

I would be happy to be a play tester if you need one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yiannis

I'll send you an e-play test kit after I design the counters. In the meantime, feel free to read and comment on the rules posted at consim.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1dd5814c

Thanks
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christopher moeller
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be doing the counters for SCS (thanks John and Ken for your vote of confidence!). This is my debut as a game artist, so I'm totally stoked.

The counters have gone through several iterations. This current version includes all of the information that was to have been on a separate chart.

-Chris

(PS: ignore the ratings for now, many of them are incorrect. This is just to show the layout/look of the counters)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imre A. Szabo
United States
Winter Garden
Florida
flag msg tools
In the new version, please make the counters easier to read and have a nationality code on the counters. I have old eyes and I am partially color blind. While I love Breaking the Chains, I have trouble reading some of the counters, and I have a terrible time trying to keep track of which counters belong to which state.

Chris, those are very nice counters. Are they going to be 3/4" (19mm) or larger? Assuming the contrast doesn't get any lower, and they aren't too small, even my old eyes will like them!

Any chance of 1982 Falkland Islands module? Maybe in Paper Wars? Re-scaling it to single ships and flights of aircraft? And mostly battalions for ground units. There really isn't a good game on this subject that doesn't cost of fortune. Be sure to include South George.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christopher moeller
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Imre, yes, they're 3/4" counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.