$60.00
$20.00
K G
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I'll keep this really vague so anyone who hasn't played Haunt 77 won't have it spoiled.

By chance, the traitor began the haunt with the item amulet of ages. Through the mechanics of the haunt, I took the amulet, which subsequently lowered the traitor's sanity to skull. However, we were unable to determine how to proceed. There isn't any language such as "if the traitor dies, you win" or "as the traitor, you cannot die." Logically, without an antagonist, it would have only been a matter of time before we completed the win objective, but we also felt due to the other mechanics of the haunt, we weren't meant to kill the traitor.

So, the broader question is how do you handle the traitor's immortality or lack thereof if there's absolutely no mention of it in either book?

The more specific question is, how do you resolve this case? We called it a draw and reset the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think each haunt should say immediately whether the traitor can be killed, damaged, items stolen form, etc, because it's been an issue for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have the expansion, but in the basegame it was entirely possible for the traitor to die and the monsters still win him the game. So unless stated otherwise I guess this stays in effect.
Don't forget that the traitor isn't always the mastermind behind the horror. He might also only be a victim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I'll make up objectives so I won't spoil haunt 77, but let's say your objectives are to compete knowledge rolls in the catacombs, keep finding items until you get the angel feather, then use the angel feather to compete one final knowledge roll in the catacombs. This is the only way you win, nothing about killing the traitor.

The traitor's goal is to kill all explorers and has no monsters or anything else to help with that. Whenever the traitor is defeated in combat, he flees instead of taking damage, but the victorious explorer can draw the top item card, or steal an item - a safeguard in case the traitor gets the angel feather. However, the explorer steals the amulet of ages, killing the traitor (?). With nothing left to stop the explorers, it's only a matter of time before they complete the objectives. But with the traitor dead, it'll be much harder to draw items to find the angel feather.

Haunt 77 is much different than the hypothetical scenario I just described, but the conundrum is essentially the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.